Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Laptop Keyboard Help  (Read 5636 times)

me_john85

Topic Starter

Starter

HP Laptop Keyboard Help
    « on: November 27, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
    Hi, have i HP DV6833 laptop and it has been acting up recently.
    It runs on Windows Vista

When I type on the top row of letters it also types numbers, also when i type numbers it types the letters

for example

1q, 2w, 3e, 4r, 7u, 8i, 9o, 0p. also the arrows don't work left and right.

I thought it might be they keyboard so i bought a replacement one and turns out its still doing it. Number lock isnt on and i have searched but couldn't find any answers any help will be greatly appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HP Laptop Keyboard Help
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
    Have you run a full scan with BOTH your anti virus utility AND MalwareBytes?

me_john85

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
      ok just did and Avira Antivirus Scan, and downloaded MalwareBytes and scanned it.

MalwareBytes found something and deleted it, but the problem is still here.

me_john85

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
        any other ideas?

Tom123

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
          Unfortunately I don't  have an answer but wanted to post to say that I just started having the same problem on my HP 9500dv laptop two weeks ago.  I also replaced the keyboard and reinstalled the driver but the same 1q 2w 3e 4r  problem exists with the new one.  An external keyboard works fine and I can't detect any other issues.

I noticed a handful of similar complaints after searchng the web but no fixes -- they all seem to involve HP laptops.  My machine is 3 years old so out of warranty -- any suggestions would be appreciated !

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
          • Experience: Experienced

Tom123

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:03 PM »
            Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not a Num Lock problem and when I type "jump"  I get j7um0p not *140

The weird thing is that the only keys that are affected are the top row of letters and numbers above them.  Also, the directional arrow keys don't work (which is consistent with a couple other posts).

Tried a BIOS update, no joy.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
            Have you been to Control Panel-Regional And Language Options- Keyboards and Languages-Change Keyboard to make sure your default language is set on English? The characters you are typing appears to be a variation of the Korean keyboard shown here http://hangulkeyboard.com/

Tom123

Starter

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
              Language is not the issue (I checked).  I even went to the extreme step of totally reformatting my hard drive and re-installing the factory image and still had the same problem.  By process of elimination, it would seem to be a motherboard defect -- looks like my laptop is now a desktop with an external keyboard  :(