Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus scans all freezing at windows\assembly\......  (Read 2966 times)

Evus

Topic Starter

Virus scans all freezing at windows\assembly\......
    « on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »
    Hi - this is my first time posting here so please let me know if there's more or different information that you need, and forgive me if I've made any cardinal sins in the world of computer maintenance.  Here's the story....

I have a Dell laptop with Windows Vista.  When I woke it up out of "hibernate" mode two days ago it was incredibly slow and I couldn't get anything to run without freezing the whole computer.  I tried to run AVG, but it would get part way through the scan then freeze as well.  I started the computer in Safe mode, and AVG appeared to run all the way through, but just as I caught a glimpse of the screen it had restarted the computer in regular (non-safe) mode so I don't know what, if anything, it found.  I did a system restore to a month prior to the problem, and everything worked much better except I couldn't download files from my gmail or any website, and I couldn't get AVG to open so that I could rescan the computer.  I would click but nothing happened.  I then downloaded Malwarebytes anti-malware to a USB drive and ran it on my computer from there - it stopped working at the following file:  windows\assembly\nativeimages_v20.50727_32\system.net\892f786ce756bd2e0ca400a8dae347a58\system.net.ni.dll.

I ran the Malwarebytes again in Safe Mode and it got all the way through the scan with no viruses detected.  I figured out that a big part of the downloading problem I had had earlier was due to AVG so I removed that from my computer and was able to download files again.  Then I downloaded a second virus detector - Avira, and that froze at a similar file - I couldn't get the whole thing but it started with the same windows\assembly\nativeimages_v20.50727_32\........but ended in \system.printing.ni.dll.

What is this windows\assembly file and is it corrupted?  Do I have a virus?  Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Virus scans all freezing at windows\assembly\......
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and complete post 3 logs an expert will see them

Evus

Topic Starter

Re: Virus scans all freezing at windows\assembly\......
      « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »
      Here are my 3 logs, as requested.  I could not run Superantispyware all the way through - it got stuck on the following file both times I tried to run it:  windows\assembly\nativeimages_v20.50727_32\systemprinting\9def64da16f075e10ce1b0cb97e44646\system.printing.ni.dll and I would have to restart the computer.  I was able to run this scan completely in "safe mode" though so I sent the log from that.  Malwarebytes runs all the way through with the Quick Scan that i was told to do, but the full scan gets stuck at a different file in that windows\assembly\nativeimages_v20.50720_32 folder.

Let me know if there's more or different information that I can give you, and thanks!!!

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]