Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP WILL NOT boot up.  (Read 21160 times)

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Windows XP WILL NOT boot up.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
I know you didn't say anything about a reinstallation CD, the other guy did saying that there could possibly be a setup deal on there to do a chkdsk run.  I don't think I have an XP CD to boot to or from.  And if I do, I'm gonna have to go on a hunt to find it, but to my knowledge, I don't think I recieved one.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Okay. Download the Recovery Console .iso from the link below. Burn it to CD using software that burns .iso images. Then boot to the cd. It will take you to the recovery console and you can run chkdsk /r
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »
OK, so after I get it burned onto the CD, should it just run as soon as I power up the computer, or do I have to do something else, or press something for it to start the program?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
You need to make sure the cd is at the top of the boot order in bios. Then boot to the cd.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
OK, it got going, started going through a bunch of different things, then it went to the blue screen.

The normal bit up top, saying it stopped the computer because it didnt want to cause any damage.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.  If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable to driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.  Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, pree F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

***                         pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

As stated before, I can't get into Safe Mode because I get the BSOD, with the message on the first page.  Is there something I am not doing right when the program starts up?

And Allan, I greatly appreciate the help you are giving me.  Thank you very much!

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Are you sure you booted to the cd? You should not see any of that - it should boot directly to the Recovery Console.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »
Well, basically the screen was blue, that says, "Windows Setup", then down at the bottom of the screen it says, "Setup is loading files", and it starts going through different files right next to the setup.

Also, before all this happens, it says to "Press any key to boot from CD", so I'm hoping/guessing it is booting from the CD.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
The only other thing I can think of is to go to the website of the manufacturer of your hd and download and run their hd diagnostic utility. It won't fix your problem (you need to get to the recovery console or do a repair install to fix the pci.sys error), but at least we'll know if your hd is okay. If it is, you're probably going to have to use the recovery disc you have - unless someone else has a better idea.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
So, when I go to run this tool (it's actually called a Drive Fitness Test with Hitachi), when I get it onto the CD, will it be the same deal as with the recovery console?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »
Not exactly, no. But for now it's the best we have.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Running the test, it seems to stay on the PCI IDE Controller 0 - Master... during the detect devices portion of the test.  Thats all I get from that.  Then it comes to a "Device List" that is empty.  Does that mean that my HD is shot?

I did make sure all the wires are connected and snug, and they all are.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
I'm not a hardware expert - I'm more software oriented - but from what you're saying it doesn't sound good for the HD.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »
I went to 2 different computer repair places to see if they could give some idea as to what to do without shelling out the money to have them scan my computer, and one said that it could be some virus or rootkit that may have infected the HD and is not allowing it to be readable.  He also said something about making the HD that is the problem, into a secondary in another system, but wouldn't that interfere with the BIOS and everything else inmy other computer?  Another thing he mentioned was connecting the HD via a cable to another computer to run a virus scan on it. 

I'm not exactly sure what to do, or even if it is an HD problem, but I'm on the verge of just going out and buying some cheap one to see if that is the problem. 

Thanks again Allan

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
I think Allan is right, not looking good for hard drive or motherboard (if notebook).
Dell desktop or notebook?  Model Number?

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »
It is a Dell Desktop XPS 410

Basically, all I wanna know right now is should I just go out, buy a new HD, and install Windows onto it using my reinstallation CD (if possible), or is there a way I can recover this HD?