Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP WILL NOT boot up.  (Read 21161 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows XP WILL NOT boot up.
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
There are 4 Diagnostic Lights on the front panel; are they all green?
Owner's Manual,  see p. 49-53

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Right, I was reading my Owners Manual that I have about those lights, but it doesn't say if they should still be on when Windows is booted up (non are on at that point), but when the computer is starting up, the 4 of them light up, then some of the lights keep flashing around.  I'll see if I can't get all the lights that light up during the boot up process. 

Also, I'm not sure if that manual says how they are supposed to stay on or if they are supposed to stay on if there is something wrong when Windows has fully booted up because it is a .pdf file and Adobe is not installed on here yet.  I've been mostly wanting to get everything sorted out on here before I started installing things.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
... but it doesn't say if they should still be on when Windows is booted up (non are on at that point), but when the computer is starting up, the 4 of them light up, then some of the lights keep flashing around....
You didn't read it?  I did.  "When the computer starts normally, the lights flash before turning off.  If the computer malfunctions, the sequence of the lights help to identify the problem."

If the video driver is not working, maybe part of the video card has gone bad.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »
I had an old ATI Radeon 9250 in my old computer, swapped it over, everything is crystal clear now.  I can change my resolution and everything.  However, I still have yet to try the old HD to see if it boots up.  I am going to try that now.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 06:00:23 PM »
Yup, everything fired right up.  Old HD is just fine, it was the video card that was the problem.  2 things are left to do now.

When it starts up, the BIOS is detecting a Floppy drive.  I went into the setup and deselected the floppy on startup but it still says it cannot boot it, so I have to press the F1 key to continue.

Last thing is, I now need to wipe the new HD clean of everything I put on it, which was not much.  Mostly just taking Windows off of it.  How do I go about doing this?  I know how to take the programs off, and I did not put any personal info on it, so nothing to much to worry about there, even though I'm pretty sure Best Buy might do a wipe of the HD if I say that I had Windows installed.  Or would it just be beneficial to keep it in the long run?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
1.  Yup, everything fired right up.  Old HD is just fine, it was the video card that was the problem.  2 things are left to do now.
2.  When it starts up, the BIOS is detecting a Floppy drive.  I went into the setup and deselected the floppy on startup but it still says it cannot boot it, so I have to press the F1 key to continue.
3.  Last thing is, I now need to wipe the new HD clean of everything I put on it, which was not much.  Mostly just taking Windows off of it.  How do I go about doing this?  I know how to take the programs off, and I did not put any personal info on it, so nothing to much to worry about there, even though I'm pretty sure Best Buy might do a wipe of the HD if I say that I had Windows installed.
1.  Bad graphics card on a 2-year old computer (Ship Date:  8/23/2007)?  Seems unlikely, but it happens from time to time.
2.   F10 to Save & Exit BIOS.
3.  Format New HDD from Windows.  Open My Computer, Right-Click Drive, Select Format.