Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mininova has gone legal!  (Read 15595 times)

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Mininova has gone legal!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »
you have more of a chance getting caught shopplifting a cd at walmart then downloading music.  And when you dl music at first you get a warning.  No, wait, now they try and shhut your internet off.  But when they do fine you, its worse then if you actually  stole the cd.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 05:14:14 AM »
I don't know where you live, but in my country (Great Britain) having a criminal record which includes crimes of dishonesty can be a real barrier to getting a decent job. Especially if that job involves trust.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
I don't think it's particularly "immoral" to shoplift a CD from Wal-Mart, and I would not think very badly of someone who did it occasionally, but I personally have never done anything like that, and probably never will. The reason is that I might get caught. The chance might be small, but I don't feel it's worth taking.

Over here it would be pretty hard to steal a CDs- or most anything from their electronics department- since they all have littler detector things inside the shrink-wrapped case, and if you try to leave with it alarms go off.

This of course causes much anguish when your dealing with some incompetent cashier who has no concept of the word toggle, and swipes the thing twice "to make sure", and of course the second swipe reactivates the thing.

Main reason I would prefer CDs is simply because it's nearly impossible to find lossless audio of some tracks/albums to download; even 320kbps MP3 sucks when you play it on good sound card or your average stereo. Also let's me decide how to tag them when I rip them, and exactly what format too. And- of course- I can always just play the CDs themselves, too.

you have more of a chance getting caught shopplifting a cd at walmart then downloading music.  And when you dl music at first you get a warning.  No, wait, now they try and shhut your internet off.  But when they do fine you, its worse then if you actually  stole the cd.

The only people that get caught downloading are the noobs who think that p2p like limewire and frostwire's networks are watched by anti-piracy organizations. Although it can be fun to share files like "emu taking a viscous dump.wmv" and see how many people download it. Then wonder to myself how many people thought I meant an emulator on linux causing a core dump. Then I go do something productive for a change.

That's not the law, that's the RIAA suing people. And of course the RIAA only really has any power where the DMCA is, which is the U.S.

Regarding software, or really, anything digital; some people feel justified simply because it isn't something tangible to them- it's really just an "impression" of 1's and 0's on a disk being copied around. And yes- many things, such as windows, are a tad expensive. However, personally, I don't think that's a good justification for pirating windows, because, for other things, if you cannot afford something, you get a cheaper model- in this case, it's possible to get Ubuntu or a similar working operating system for free, so people saying that Windows is an "essential" component of a modern PC is bollocks. warranted, it's an essential component for people who only know the essentials, but that's sort of splitting hairs.

Besides, rather then pirating something like a new game, just wait until your around 80 or 90 years old, if your lucky it will have been public domain somewhere. heh

Although I imagine a 90 year old playing guitar hero would be odd. And who knows how bad the arthritis might be. And those shingles hurt something fierce.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Google

Mentor

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »
    Well depending on your age, it's possible that at 80 or 90 years old you will only be halfway through your life.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html

Watch the first few minutes of that and you'll see what I mean. It's quite interesting.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
    So i guess my "eating" analogy fell on deaf ears...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Google

Mentor

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 07:32:44 PM »
      So i guess my "eating" analogy fell on deaf ears...

Guess so haha

cintari

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
      honestly though, how much money are the artists and movie industries loosing when you click that download button?  Not much.  About 86 cents per album, and Im not sure about movies.  But they might get even more money, cause if you liked it, you tell people, and they go buy it.  Its advertising.  Why do you think companies leak things early sometimes?

A. some companies DO lose A LOT money. Not EVERY software, media, etc. company is owned by incredibly wealthy people.
      B. tactics used by the RIAA are unexceptable as they involve creating worms and releasing them into torrent netwroks and victimizing individual people with harsh hypercritical punishment in an attempt to "make an example" out of them.
      C. if you absolutely have to pirate software, media, etc. and you truly like the media BUY THE MEDIA
      D. never illegally resell other companies software online or locally. It's one thing to steal (yes you are stealing something) media, but to resell it at a lower price to make money is a huge display of moral corruption

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »
      but to resell it at a lower price to make money is a huge display of moral corruption

Stealing it in the 1st place is also...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

eg_guru

Greenhorn

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »
        when u make a program and other (crack) it is very bad feeling i live that feeling too many times    :||x

cintari

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
        Well you can always get eBooks...but the issue stands. Pirating is stealing.

If I could download a motorcycle, I'd have 5 of them sitting in my garage right now

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #55 on: December 26, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »
        If I could download a motorcycle, I'd have 5 of them sitting in my garage right now

can i download ramz?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
        I don't know where you live, but in my country (Great Britain) having a criminal record which includes crimes of dishonesty can be a real barrier to getting a decent job. Especially if that job involves trust.
        Here, in the good ol' US of A,  that will qualify you...
         for a job in some of the larger fiduciaryy firms.
        Fiduciary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        A fiduciary duty is a legal or ethical relationship of confidence or trust between two or more parties, most commonly a fiduciary and a principal.

eg_guru

Greenhorn

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
          lol but it is still legal

cintari

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

I'd take the heat from shoplifting a cd to downloading music off the internet any day. Apparently when you steal a cd in the US you get a minor fine and a slap on the wrists. However, if you are caught downloading music, you can get fined 40$ per song and violently sued. I can't make much sense of it. The physical cd fine is around 150$ but the virtual fine is $500?