Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Windows failed to start because the system registry file is missing or corrupt"  (Read 8638 times)

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My computer will not boot... I keep getting the "windows failed to start because the system registry file is missing or corrupt"...I've tried going in safemode, last known configuration, etc. I also just tried the Vista recovery disc (32-bit) and it still won't work... There is a lot of stuff on my laptop I need, does anyone know how I can fix this without having to lose all of my info stored on my computer??

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Boot to the Vista CD and use the repair option(s)

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I did that already...it still won't work.  It says "unable to automatically fix problem.." or something along those lines..I've restarted and still back to the same issue.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Did you recently install or change any hardware or have any major errors or problems?

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I haven't installed anything lately...I did uninstall a game that my boyfriend had downloaded on here a while ago. I have had this problem once before, but when I clicked on startup repair it worked...Nothing seems to work this time, not even the Windows Vista CD...

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        Since you have Vista DVD, try repair installation: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks, I read through that, but I'm not sure I understand... It says "don't run Vista DVD on boot"... am I supposed to put it in when I get to the screen that tells me "windows has failed to start..etc" ? I cannot get past that screen... ?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          My bad. You can use that method only from within Vista.
          I think, your best bet is to slave the drive in another computer to backup your data and try clean install.
          I'd check your hard drive first, though.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
          Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
          Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
          If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ohh...My laptop is a Toshiba ...  :-\

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            In that case....
            I think, your best bet is to slave the drive in another computer to backup your data and try clean install.

ashmatt1222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks so much,  I will try that.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              Sure thing :)