Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP - Need to log in as Admin but Don't Know User or Password  (Read 2564 times)

Wikeja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

XP - Need to log in as Admin but Don't Know User or Password
    « on: December 01, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
    Hi All,
    I want to download a game on my laptop.  My admin rights do not allow it.  I do not know the Admin user name or Password.  Does anyone know a way I can discover the Admin name & password for my computer?

I tried the cmd...net user.....blah blah blah...approach but was unsure where to find the admin user name.  May be on the wrong track anyway.

I welcome any help.

Wikeja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: XP - Need to log in as Admin but Don't Know User or Password
      « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
      I understand that this may be viewed as an attempt to violate my computer's security.  If this is a topic that will be viewed as taboo on this forum, please let me know & I will drop it.  I am just in a desperate situation & was hoping for an easy solution.

Thanks,
      Kenny

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »
      Kenny,
      Is this your computer?
      Is it a computer at your school?
      Is it part of a business?

If it is your computer, and if it is used at home, there should not be a security problem with normal operations. Except downloads.

You said that you are using XP. What Anti Virus program are you using? It may be that the program is trying to protect you from a hostile web site that offers free games to people that don't understand the risk of getting something free on the Internet.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »
      for XP default admin username is "administrator" password is blank. you can access it by booting into safe mode or by not using the welcome screen.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Wikeja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »
        This is a work computer that I use at home.  The game I tried to download was Fiesta, a game that I have played for a couple of years now.  The situation is that I had some severe issues with the hard drive & had to send it off to be replaced.  The new hard drive was reformatted & anything that I had downloaded previously got wiped during the software load.  I no longer know the admin username & password so I can't download anything.  I can't even run defrag with the current settings.  The firewall is inactive.  The antivirus program is McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
        This is a work computer that I use at home.  The game I tried to download was Fiesta, a game that I have played for a couple of years now

OK. Now I see the picture.
        Here is my best idea to resolve the issue.

Kindly say you your Boss that if he expects your to take work home, he should provide you a personal  computer in addition to the work at home machine.. That way you can separate the work from the play and avoid the security issues.
        Do the company work on the machine hay provide.
        Do your play on the bonus PC they will give to you.