Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP RECOVERY DISC ISSUE  (Read 3153 times)

Wikeja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

HP RECOVERY DISC ISSUE
    « on: December 17, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
    Computer: Pavilion Desktop m7750n
    Motherboard: ASUS A8M2N-LA or (HP Name) NodusM3-GL8E
    Recovery Software/Build: 71NAV3PRA4  (I have verified that the s/w received from HP on two separate occasions are the correct recovery discs.)

??? My hard drive crashed.  It is gone with the wind.  I replaced it with a much larger drive.  Seagate 1.5TB/5900RPM ST315005N4A1AS-RK.  I also added 2G of RAM to boost the RAM to 4G.  This is the system limit according to HP.  I can't get the recovery to take.

After not being able to get the recovery discs to work several times I was able to load Windows XP without a problem so I know the hard drive is operating properly.

I have the monitor, mouse & keyboard connected to the computer.  Nothing else.  I have tried the recovery with the additional RAM added & without.  I have tried it with the hard drive jumpered & without.

I turn on the computer, insert Recovery Disc 1.  Turn off the computer.  Turn it back on & several files load on  a black screen then the recovery screen comes up.  I am then told to load the supplemental disc.  I insert it & press next or continue.  It says it is loading the content.  It remains at 0% forever.  I get no error message.

I know there used to be an issue with XP machines from HP if you upgraded the hard drive to a different size.  However, HP claims that increasing the hard drive size is acceptable on this machine because it is a Vista build.

I haven't been able to find any forum addressing this specific issue.  My apologies if this has been addressed previously.  Has anyone run into this issue?  Help please?

Thanks,
    Kenny