Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access 2nd hard drive  (Read 7452 times)

Bryan M

Re: Can't access 2nd hard drive
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 06:01:15 PM »
Or should I just add the HDD #0" into it?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 06:11:12 PM »
Everything between the "    " is the text you see on the screen when you boot.  Put anything there you like.  Make timeout whatever you want.

You are adding:
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<2>partition<1>\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional HDD #1" /fastdetect

rdisk<2> is the 3rd IDE device
partition<1> is the 1st partition on the device

I still don't know if any of this will work.  Continue booting to HDD#0 and see if Windows will automatically assign a drive letter to HDD#1.  If not try to assign it manually.  If that doesn't work, try booting to HDD#1 and Windows should assign a drive letter to HDD#0.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 06:12:18 PM by Computer_Commando »

Bryan M

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2005, 07:15:37 PM »
If the rdisk is set to 3 wouldn't that boot from my cd drive? I have both hard drives on the 1st IDE and two cd drives on the second set of IDE's.

Bryan M

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2005, 08:07:05 PM »
I think I may have found the solution,   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330140   Do you think that may be the problem, considering I have used Go Back on that drive before? Any ideas as far as what to do? Thanks again for all your help. I'm curious as to know how do you know about all this, I would like to be able to figure these things out, how did you do it?

Bryan M

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »
It worked, I just setup the spare drive as the master, booted it up and disabled Go Back, set the drive back to slave and everything is back to normal. I would like to thank you again for all the help Computer Commando, I appreciate it as well as others do im sure.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 03:22:33 PM »
It worked!   Cool!!!

Microsoft said:  "...This problem may occur if you have used the Roxio GoBack program on the hard disk. The problem occurs because Roxio GoBack modifies the master boot record (MBR) and changes the partition type on the hard disk. This can cause the drive to be inaccessible in Windows XP, even when the hard disk appears in Device Manager and in Disk Management console. "

All this because of Roxio?  I've never had much success with Roxio.  It's never worked very well.  I guess that's why Adaptec got rid of it.  I use Nero.

Bryan M

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 09:46:22 PM »
I actually didn't use that, I think that it came with Norton SystemsWorks that I use for my antivirus, one of the extra features it came with. But yes it did work and i'm in a lot better mood and more relaxed now that I know I won't have to lose the drive. I know I have said it before but I would like to thank you again for all the help you gave me, its very appreciated. One last thing, Happy 4th, and be safe everyone.