Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet options , advanced tab (DEP)  (Read 10350 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: internet options , advanced tab (DEP)
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    « Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
    Sorry - for some reason I thought you're using XP. Here you go: http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/how-to-get-group-policy-editor-in-vista-home-edition/

OK allan i'll give this ago.i'll try anything once

But first i already have LmCompatibility 3

But i am a bit confused when it says set it to

Create the following DWORD value (if it doesn’t exist):

LmCompatibilityLevel

and set it to:

0 – Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, but they never use NTLMv2 session security. Domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

1 – Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

2 – Clients use only NTLM authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controller accepts LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

3 – Clients use only NTLMv2 authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

4 – Clients use only NTLMv2 authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controller refuses LM authentication responses, but it accepts NTLM and NTLMv2.

5 – Clients use only NTLMv2 authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controller refuses LM and NTLM authentication responses, but it accepts NTLMv2.

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
    By the way, I'm not suggesting you do any of this - I'm simply trying to respond to your questions ;)

Be sure you have a current image of your system drive. GPEDIT is a very powerful function and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Oh - and I believe you want to set it to zero.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
      By the way, I'm not suggesting you do any of this - I'm simply trying to respond to your questions ;)

Be sure you have a current image of your system drive. GPEDIT is a very powerful function and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Oh - and I believe you want to set it to zero.

OK allan, i will have to sort out an image of the system drive first, then i'll give it a go.
      Is this necessary though, even if you back up the registry, any how a few comments from that link, mentions setting it to "0" does not work either.
      If setting it to "0" does not work, which it does mention that in the comments ,  i'll probably give it a miss all together.... :)

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »
      I'm a big fan of hd imaging on a regular basis - I feel everyone should do it - especially since there are some great free imaging utilities. I'm off for the night, but I look forward to hearing how things go. To be honest, I'm surprised TweakUAC didn't work for you.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
        I'm a big fan of hd imaging on a regular basis - I feel everyone should do it - especially since there are some great free imaging utilities. I'm off for the night, but I look forward to hearing how things go. To be honest, I'm surprised TweakUAC didn't work for you.

OK, allan
        I will try to find out a little more, with it saying "not inheirited" may be i can get this "inheirited" in some way using the permissions.
        I am not sure, but i thing you can copy the permissions, from the admin account to the specific user.
        But i'am off now anyway, i'll try to find out some more info.............. 8)

2gb ram/32 bit/

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »
          Hello again

Can you just look over this for me, and see if it would be ok to follow.

http://www.techmynd.com/enable-grouppolicy-gpedit-for-windows-vista-home/

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
          Do you mean copying the files from one Vista edition to another? Sure, that should work fine.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 10:07:39 PM »
            Do you mean copying the files from one Vista edition to another? Sure, that should work fine.

Yeah allan, a fiend of mine has vista ulimate over the road, so i thought i would give this a try,  if i get stuck on anything i'll post back... :)

2gb ram/32 bit/