Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 UAC  (Read 4272 times)

you878

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows 7 UAC
    « on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
     If I am logged into an administrator account, and I run a program, does that mean that the program will automatically have admin privileges? Basically, if I run a program on an administrator account, and it does not ask for administrator permission, can it still do things that it couldn't have if it was run on a standard user account, without admin privileges?
     I do have UAC turned on.

oldun

Re: Windows 7 UAC
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »
    No.
    You are logged on as a local administrator, which is different from the built-in administrator.
    If your application needs administrator privileges, you should select Properties and tick the box next to Run as administrator.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
    if UAC is enabled- you literally cannot log in as an administrator- ever. For example- my account name is BC_Programming, and I am a administrator. However, UAC still shows me the prompts for admin control.

This is because you never actually run as an administrator- what happens, is when you log in, windows strips out the admin privileges from your security token, and you run with the stripped down token. when a program requests admin access, you are given the UAC prompt and if you say yes the new process is run under your full security token.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

you878

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »
        All right, thanks. I was just concerned about running programs, now that I don't have sandboxie because of 64 bit Windows 7. :(
        Oh, well. 6gb of memory is worth it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
        All right, thanks. I was just concerned about running programs, now that I don't have sandboxie because of 64 bit Windows 7. :(
        Oh, well. 6gb of memory is worth it.

This may be true but you need to tweak the system to your liking,,,,
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
        On the other hand, if you enable the built-in Administrator account and log in as it, everything is automatically elevated (this is true with Vista as well).
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.