Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen Format Question  (Read 7571 times)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Screen Format Question
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
After all this, sounds like it's being stretched then since we have a widescreen TV.

It's being stretched because you have a VCR. The widescreen TV WITH the black bars is showing the movie in the correct aspect ratio.

Do you seriously not understand or are you trolling?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
Do the DVD's which don't show the black lines also say 16:9 or enhanced for 16:9 display?
No
It's being stretched because you have a VCR. The widescreen TV WITH the black bars is showing the movie in the correct aspect ratio.

Do you seriously not understand or are you trolling?
But I'm not playing the movie on the VCR. I'm playing the DVD, and it doesn't happen on all of the DVD's.
My mom doesn't understand this either. This also happens with some of the movies we rent too. Been puzzling us ever sense all this started happening.
The very first time it ever happened, we called Blockbuster and this lady who answered the phone didn't know much, and said to look at the manual for your unit should tell how to do the settings. Which yes, we have looked and not finding anything helpful.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:27:16 PM by AmyR7 »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
It doesn't happen with all movies because not all movies are filmed with a 16:9 ratio.

The black bars are CORRECT. They are normal. They are how the movie is supposed to be played.

Let it be.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
It doesn't happen with all movies because not all movies are filmed with a 16:9 ratio.

The black bars are CORRECT. They are normal. They are how the movie is supposed to be played.

Let it be.
Yes, we understand that not all movies are filmed that way. That isn't the problem.
Why when we look and compare what it says the format of them should be, it is all the same wording, 1.85:1 widescreen is what it says on the box.
So, it looks like something is wrong with the DVD, that we got a bad copy and need to exchange it for one that works.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
How is the movie broken? Is it not playing?

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
All I can suggest is in the future when buying dvd's look for 1.78:1 or 16:9 . Or, if your TV has black trim, turn the lights off and watch the movie the way it's meant to be watched and you want even see the black lines. If your actually noticing the black lines while watching a movie, you should get a different movie because the one you are watching is not interesting you at all.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
How is the movie broken? Is it not playing?
not playing right. chops off parts of their head with the black strips.
actually, I watch tv all the time with lights off due to my health, I have alot of headaches all the time and light hurts my eyes.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:18 AM »
I think I finally found the answer your looking for, about the original movie you was asking about I'll Be Home For Christmas .If you look it says 1.85:1 NON-anamorphic . The other movie you listed as reference Jingle All the Way is widescreen anamorphic. Anamorphic vs. Non-Anamorphic DVD, to lose the black lines using non-anamorphic dvd's you will have to adjust your TV settings, not your dvd player settings. OR view using 4:3 ratio which will most likely put lines on the sides.