Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP keeps looping...won't boot  (Read 12998 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: XP keeps looping...won't boot
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 05:59:40 AM »
Samnang - already suggested and done. And for future reference, the correct command is: chkdsk /r - no other switches.

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 05:37:34 AM »
    Allan,
    I took the tower to Staples.  They called and said the hard drive is worthless and they are not able to retrieve anything "in house".  Ughhhh.  Any suggestions on what to do with a worthless tower?  The only reason I asked is because if I can get anything for it...I sure want to try!

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 05:49:07 AM »
    If you are otherwise happy with the computer, just replace the hard drive.

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 05:50:15 AM »
      They told me it would be $240 to replace the hard drive.  Seems like a lot but I really don't know.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »
      Nonsense. You can replace the drive yourself for well under $100. Here's a good 500 MB hd for $55. It costs nothing to install it yourself: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822136073

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 06:08:24 AM »
        I love your "nonsense" statement.  I feel like I am being taken advantage of just because I do not understand computers!  They charged me $75.00 to tell me my hard drive failed and nothing could be recovered....

Thanks for the link.  Do you think I will be able to replace a hard drive myself?  Is it as simple as unscrewing the old one, placing a new one in, plugging it in and going?  A few years ago, I put a cd drive in an old computer.  Is it a similar process?

Regarding the hard drive...apparantly the one that died was 250GB.  The link you sent is 500GB so I understand that means more storage.  How about speed?  What dictates that?

Thanks so much for all of your input!

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:29 AM »
        1) Yes, it is exactly the same process as replacing the cd. If you did that, you can do this.
        2) The two major factors in determining speed are rpm's and on board cache.
        3) As long as you are replacing it you might as well go with the larger drive if the price is okay with you. You don't have to go with the one I posted or the supplier. It was just to point out what a good drive goes for. You want something from a name you recognize (both the manufacturer and the retailer). I usually go to either Newegg or Amazon. Read the reviews and pick something that looks good.

BTW - there are many "how to" guides on the web you can reference when replacing the drive if you want to feel a little more comfortable, but you won't have any problem doing it. Once installed you'll need to boot to your OS cd and format and install the OS.

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »
          Okay, so apparently I had a 250GB 7200 rpm hard drive before...

the link you sent would be twice as much storage with the same rpm...so I am assuming it would be the same speed?

I don't know what on board cache means.  How can I check that?  Will you please explain?

While I am replacing this hard drive, I should make sure I am making it as fast or preferably faster than it was before.  LOL...I can't believe I am saying all of this!

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
          Don't worry about it. Any current drive you get will be just fine. And although it may sound contrary to common sense, the size of the drive will not have any noticeable impact on speed.

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »
            I think what I will do...if you think this sounds okay...is go to Staples to pick up my tower and see what they have for sale.

I want to sound like I know what I am talking about, so I will ask for:

1)  a minimum 500 GB Internal Hard Drive
            2)  a minimum speed of 7200 RPM
            3)  a minimum cache of 16 MB
            4)  SATA

Does this sound correct?

Any other advice?

Thank you so, so much for your input!

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:54 AM »
            You are going to overpay at Staples, but sure - that's fine.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
            Agreed...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

karolk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
              I DID IT...I DID IT!!!  Spent $79.99 at Staple's but had a $15.00 coupon...so not tooooo bad.  Seagate Barracuda 500GB/7200 RPM/16MB    Anyhow, I was actually able to follow the instructions and remove the old and install the new...all by myself.  Seems easy, but for me...very scary!!

Thank you, thank you so much for all of your help!  Just wish I didn't pay Staples $75.00 to find out the thing was fried!!!

:o