Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: restore boot partition  (Read 4512 times)

MikeK

restore boot partition
« on: June 13, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »
I'm using WinXP Pro on partitioned HD. I install a lot of trial software, look at it, then delete it. After a while my registry gets loaded. I'm using a partitioned HD, boot partition is currently 6MB. I'd like to image the boot partition onto a 2nd HD, periodically reformat the partition, and then using a control program on a disk, restore the boot partition to some previous state. I realize that recent programs will have to be reinstalled, but not a problem. Is there a control program that will let me do this?

Have a new copy of Ghost 2003, but read it has problems. Also have Drive Imager XP and Drive Cloner XP, but I don't see how they'll do what I want.

Suggestions please.

merlin_2

Re: restore boot partition
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:45:56 PM »
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308424&sd=tech

Also have Drive Imager XP and Drive Cloner XP   try looking at the read me file......or download nero burning rom and create an iso image of your disk......

myron kleinberg

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:31:47 AM »
Sorry I didn't respond before now. I reread the help files, and did additional searching. It appears that the solution to my problem is in setting up a WinXP/WinXP dual boot. I should then be able to use a variety of software solutions, including WinXP backup, Xcopy, and DrvimageXP. Thanks.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »
    After a while my registry gets loaded.

Registry cleaner?

Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 02:26:13 AM »
    I'm using WinXP Pro on partitioned HD. I install a lot of trial software, look at it, then delete it. After a while my registry gets loaded. I'm using a partitioned HD, boot partition is currently 6MB. I'd like to image the boot partition onto a 2nd HD, periodically reformat the partition, and then using a control program on a disk, restore the boot partition to some previous state. I realize that recent programs will have to be reinstalled, but not a problem. Is there a control program that will let me do this?

Have a new copy of Ghost 2003, but read it has problems. Also have Drive Imager XP and Drive Cloner XP, but I don't see how they'll do what I want.

Suggestions please.

Is that 6 Mb or 6 Gb?

I use TeraByte Unlimited's BootIT NG Suite which comes with Image for Windows and Image for DOS plus a partition resizer all for US$60

You should try the 30-day evaluation copies of Diskeeper 9 Professional and TuneUp Utilities.

If you download Diskeeper 9 Professional (not home) 30 day evaluation copy and use the inbuilt Frag-Shield program to see if the MFTs are in need of adjustment. You can then defragment them, and the paging file, using a boot-time defragmentation. If the MFTs are not big enough then you increase the likelihood of fragmentation and performance can suffer as a result.

In DK9 open "Change your settings" then choose Configure MFT/Paging file. The program will tell you if the MFTs need to be padded (made bigger) and I suggest you use the advised setting. If it doesn't respond to the change then set a higher value manually in the box. After re-boot the program should take over and adjust the MFTs automatically from then on.

When you come to uninstall DK9 PRO it will revert to your normal XP Defrag. Both the XP Defrag and Diskeeper 9 Professional are made by Executive Software.

I have had to pad the MFTs on a number of drives as they were too small and not allowing sufficient addressing on the drive. This seems to be a recurring problem when rezizing partitions.

"Run Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last restore point. See if your System Restore cache and Recycle Bin size is set at a reasonable level (Say 1024Mb) on each drive, and reduce the IE Temporary Internet Files cache and History cache to the minimum. Install CCLeaner and clean out all of the junk files. Unhide all files and folders and remove the hotfix uninstallers ( $NTUninstaller$ ) from the hidden C:\Windows folder and remove their entries from Add-Remove programs. Then remove the contents of:

The C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations folder
    The C: WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
    The C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder
    The C:\Windows\pchealth\Datacoll folder, and...
    The C:\Windows\Prefetch folder

(You can add these folders to EmpTemp if you have this program installed.) Then run chkdsk and defrag."

TERABYTE

Hijack This Analysis
    Hijack This Detective

OEM CDR NLITE

XP Clean Installing
    XP Compatability Test
    XP Partition Management
    XP Installing Recovery Console

RAM Knowledge Base
    RAM And What it Does
    RAM Virtual Memory Paging
    RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
    Service Pack Slipstreamer
    Power Supply Wattage Calculator
    Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

EmpTemp
    CCLeaner File Cleaner

TweakUI is useful to have on your system for certain repairs... Powertoys/TweakUI

And you should install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service to ensure that your shut down works cleanly.

Hope you find some of it helpful.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 02:30:04 AM by Mac »

MikeK

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 09:44:16 AM »
    Thanks, you're correct on 6GB.

I've tried much of what you're suggesting, I'll try more. For a couple of additional reasons, it seems like I can solve all of my problems by using dual boot with 2 WinXP partitions, and restoring my primary boot partition from a good backup I made early on. I'll have to reinstall the few programs I installed since then, and am currently using.