Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSN Messenger log-in registry value  (Read 8134 times)

Raptor

MSN Messenger log-in registry value
« on: June 25, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »
Where would the log-in data (names) be stored for MSN Messenger?

I have removed all MSN Messenger related values and keys I could find in the registry, yet, I was unable to clear the list.

It can not be done through conventional methods either. It will not allow me to.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not yield a positive effect.

At my wits end here!

The only time I ever managed to clear the list, was when my computer had crashed and it removed most of my personally stored information such as E-mail client and browser settings.

Raptor
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 01:21:52 PM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: MSN Messenger log-in registry value
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »
    Raptor .......Have a look in Windows messenger as well , I have a idea that possibly the settings end up in both there and MSN messenger as well ....( I'm not sure about that though)

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 01:30:33 PM »
    The Messenger service is disabled and the application uninstalled. It should normally be located under C:\Program Files, correct?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 01:50:01 PM »
      Raptor ....... Yes ....as a check click start / All programs and see if it shows up in the list .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:55:53 PM »
      It is not present. I made certain of that quite a while ago.

Other suggestions?
      « Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 03:56:09 PM by Raptor »

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 05:08:23 PM »
        How about uninstalling, then deleting everything you can find, then doing a registry search for offbeat terms that msn may use and finishing off with a couple of registry cleaners.

Sort of like when you need to completely remove a trial program in order to get another free trial.
        (Not something I'd ever do of course)

FEDette

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 05:36:50 PM »
        Hi! first time here .... Raptor for what this comment is worth ... I found that when I needed to remove MSN messenger from this computer I found entries in the registery which messenger had modified .... it also likes to allow trojans in ...  >:(

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 06:41:41 AM »
        Hi! first time here .... Raptor for what this comment is worth ... I found that when I needed to remove MSN messenger from this computer I found entries in the registery which messenger had modified .... it also likes to allow trojans in ...  >:(

That is correct. MSN leaves a lot of entries and it seems to modify many. However, I removed as many as I could find and it would not help at all.

And.. Welcome!

How about uninstalling, then deleting everything you can find, then doing a registry search for offbeat terms that msn may use and finishing off with a couple of registry cleaners.

Done, no success. I believe that the reason registry scanners do not find the log in details is because they are not directly related to MSN Messenger. They may be related to .NET services.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 06:42:21 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »
        I have allready stated that Messenger is removed. My problem concerns the names in the MSN Messenger log in list.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »
        Uninstall the leftover installation information file by typing "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf"

The complete spysoftware system winxp......msn  is logged with m$oft......
        « Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 03:21:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 01:53:16 AM »
        No dice.

Did not remove the log in entries.

I believe I was able to simply remove them on the Laptop I used, but why it is not possible on the Desktop computer is beyond me..

Any other ideas?