Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i cant print from internet  (Read 22694 times)

mxs8770

Re: i cant print from internet
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 11:46:08 PM »
i have installed avg, pandasoftware and zone alarm. is that good enough or do i need to install more?  is there such a thing to install one to many anti viruse programs?
:)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »
    Sometimes these protection programs are not compatible so keep it simple and these following programs are easy to use and understand.
    There are better programs than the following but they require a greater understanding & are more difficult to configure properly.

1) AVG, open it up and make sure that your resident shield & email scanning are both functional.
    Keep it updated or set it to auto update.

2) Disable/remove Panda and only use it online for a quick up to date check from time to time.

3) Zone Alarm gets the nod, make sure the firewall is active. (I personally find it a little confusing but lots of people swear by it, so it's fine)

4) Download, update & install Winpatrol, it's very simple & easy to use. (Spybot S&D with the teatimer will only confuse you)

5) Download, install & update Adaware and do a manual scan from time to time.

At the end of this you should only have 3 additional programs running...
    AVG, Winpatrol & Zone Alarm and they should not slow you down to any great degree.

Raptor

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 03:26:13 AM »
    Rather than having two virus scanners (AVG and Panda) you should have one virus scanner and one anti spyware scanner. Spybot S&D, which I recommended earlier on, is a very excellent choice.

mxs8770

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 03:03:01 PM »
    thanx you guys i really appreciate it!! i will go and do what you suggestand if i have anymore problems with this part, i know i got you to help me out and thats a good think to know.  you guys are great, if it wasent for you guys, i would of thrown out the computer

thanks!!! 8) :) ;)

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 03:58:17 PM »
      Spybot is good for sure, just make sure you activate the teatimer and Raptor can help you with the configuration options. :)

Edit:

What about your internet printing?
      Did it resolve itself?
      « Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 03:59:51 PM by Fed »

mxs8770

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »
      no, im still in the same place, except that no with no viruses, i still cant print from the web.

question: is it normal for some programs to be open and running.  even though i havent opened them (hopefully you undestand what im trying to say)
      « Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 04:17:52 PM by mxs8770 »

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 04:32:48 PM »
        Back to where we started from...
        If after resetting your IE defaults and ensuring your computer is bug free it still won't print, try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer completely.

Answer: It depends on what the programs are, some programs (many) want to set themselves up to run every time you boot your computer so they open really fast, unfortunately they have no regard for your system resources so I disable all except for av, as, & firewall.
        I also disable all auto updating, I like to do it myself.

merlin_2

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »
        Winme does not like ie6.......ie5.5 will tools is a better option////or advant/firefox/opera

This is  what you could do......locate the c:\windows\options\cabs  folder....use the search options...to find it......now you have found it...scroll down the list till you come across the scanreg icon...>>...now next to it is one called setup.... if you clicked this icon ...it will re-install winme will no file loss.....and will take it back to the day it was first booted up..........and disconnect from the net......thats the beauty of win9x........
        « Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:01:08 PM by merlin_2 »

mxs8770

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:01 PM »
        o.k. so i unistalled/reinstalled the printer.  and i reinstalled WinMe. Now what do i do? if this is related to printing from the web problem, i still cant print from the web. i just checked it.   you know im about to give up on this >:(

mxs8770

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 11:10:10 PM »
        o.k. so i've been scanning for viruses,  since i reinstalled the printer and WinMe, and now i cant access AVG I get a message saying "Could not initialize AVG Ainti-Virus kernel interface application cannot run" why am i getting this message now? i just did what you guys suggested

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 12:00:57 AM »
          This will be short & abrupt because I just had a whole page typed out for you & my isp dropped me out & I lost the lot. GRRR!

Re-install AVG & test it.

Then remove all traces of your printer, hardware & software.

Then reconnect & reinstall your printer & test it.

I feel better now  :)

mxs8770

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 12:12:31 AM »
          0.k. i'll try that.  thank u!

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #42 on: June 29, 2005, 12:17:35 AM »
            No worries, hang in there, after hunting & pecking out a whole page of text then losing it I was freaking out.
            We'll beat this printer yet.  :D

merlin_2

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 02:46:24 AM »
            If you print normal stuff without any hassles?.......the problem lies with ie  what version have you got.....

mxs8770

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
            Yeah hopefully well beat it!

yes i print stuff with no hassles..... i got 5.5 Ie