Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Fax and Picture Viewer and Photo Print Wizard *censored*  (Read 3580 times)

ubermensch

Topic Starter

Rookie

These apps are driving me nuts. Has anyone here been able to successfully completely and totally remove either of them?

I really just hate Photo Print Wizard because it doesn't have an option to print images at their real, default size, they MUST be 8x10, 5x7, full page, wallet size. Unfortunately, Windows Fax and Picture Viewer seems to call this program to do its printing.

Using "regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll" to disable WFPV seems to break things, e.g. can't double click images to open (have to right click and go to edit), can't open images from within archive.

Deleting HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ CLSID\{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}\shellex\MayChangeDefaultMenu didn't seem to have any effect on anything that I noticed.

The only option I think would be to go to each individual image file type in the folder options and modify them all. Does anyone know a simpler way?

BillRichardson

Intermediate

Re: Windows Fax and Picture Viewer and Photo Print Wizard <censored>
      « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »

The only option I think would be to go to each individual image file type in the folder options and modify them all. Does anyone know a simpler way?

Word or Word Perfect will allow you to resize and print.  Mail the image to yourself, XP will allow you to resize the image.  PictureIT  will allow a resize and print.  Several third party programs will all allow resize and  print.

IrfanView  will allow resize and print . . .
      Bill Richardson

ubermensch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:16:07 AM »
        well, this user does not require the ability to resize images on their pc, and I can handle resizing on my end with gimp. they'd be perfectly fine just using mspaint, but the problem is modifying settings to use mspaint by default for everything.

Windows Fax and Picture Viewer is the default. Double clicking an image selects the "Preview" option which is controlled by Windows Fax and Picture Viewer, which in turn will only print with Photo Print Wizard, which, oddly enough, and it may not make sense if you've never used it, does NOT allow printing at the default size as specified by the image attributes. Furthermore, and this is very important, when I send this particular user an archive full of images, they can open the archive from within the email client, double click the image and it will open with Fax and Picture Viewer; there is no other option. This user is completely computer illiterate, so I absolutely must dumb this process down as much as possible. In fact, asking them to right click has proven to be too much trouble.

Which brings me to the point you quoted. "The only option I think would be to go to each individual image file type in the folder options and modify them all. Does anyone know a simpler way?" Meaning going to Control Panel - Folder Options - File Types, going to each image, and modifying its behavior. Does anyone know a better option?

EDIT: Really, if anyone knows a freeware program (as I don't suppose reinstalling mspaint will accomplish this) that will associate itself with the preview option (and I think, therefore, allow opening images by double click from within archives) I think that'd do the trick.
        « Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:37:29 AM by ubermensch »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Re: Windows Fax and Picture Viewer and Photo Print Wizard *censored*
        « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »
        Irfanview...
        Already suggested.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ubermensch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
          Irfanview works great. Slight issue with having to click "Printer Setup" for no apparently reason every time he wants to print, but since there's no setting modification or right clicking, I think it's ok, and the case is essentially solved.

However, anyone else notice this with Irfanview? If you don't click "Printer Setup", the printer will make like it's about to print (not sure how a printer works, but there will be some movement inside), but the job will leave the queue before it begins.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          Re: Windows Fax and Picture Viewer and Photo Print Wizard *censored*
          « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
          What OS and what printer ? ?
          The Author has a contact link in Help/About and may want to hear of this glitch...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ubermensch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
            True, I'll shoot 'em an email.

WinXP SP3 and HP Deskjet F380.