Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to access remote server, FTP, Websites from LAN  (Read 5641 times)

sachindhake

Unable to access remote server, FTP, Websites from LAN
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:11 PM »
Hi

I am facing a strange problem from last week and beating my head up to get it resolved. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

To summarize,

We have multiple websites setup on client's server, which has Windows 2003 Server SP2 installed and have Remote Desktop Connection enable to be able accessed from our LAN.

From last few days we are not able to access any of the website through internet. Also we are not able to connect to server using remote desktop connection.

FTP connection works, but it takes ages to load the web directories on server and disconnects again and again. Same issue with all websites on server, those all takes too much time to load, or event doesn't load some time. if we "ping" the server it does work.

The problem occurs only within our LAN, it works perfectly if accessed from computers outiside of our LAN. we are unable to figure out the problem.

Please suggest.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Unable to access remote server, FTP, Websites from LAN
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
    I'm a bit confused. When you say you can't access it from "our lan" is this the lan of that client or your lan outside of the client? Chances are it's a firewall issue either at the server or a hardware firewall. Can you access the server through rdp from "outside" your lan? I once had a similar issue at one of our remote branches. After doing windows update to the server and restarted it I could no longer access it through rdp, programs it hosted couldn't be accessed anymore. Why? It seems one of the security updates decided to turn the firewall of the server to "on" instead of leaving it "off" although the update made no mention of it  >:(. Anyways try checking the firewall. Also, if you're using IIS check the permissions of the directories. Last but not least check the event logs.
    If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.