Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chess help  (Read 5418 times)

JJ 3000

Topic Starter

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Chess help
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »
Hello, I'm having a problem with the chess program that comes installed with Ubuntu. It has been working fine until tonight. I though that I might try the 3d mode. When I tried to switch I got: "Unable to enable 3D mode Your system does not have the required software to enable 3D mode".

So I searched the Ubuntu forum for the the solution. I found this page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=551414

KIAaze responded to the problem and suggested entering the following into the command line:
sudo apt-get install python-opengl python-gtkglext1 libgtkglext1

So I opened up the terminal and copied and pasted the code. Then I opened chess and clicked on view and chose 3d view. I got the same error as before. I thought that the problem might be that the chess program was running when I ran the code. So I exited chess and tried to open it again. This is where the problem started.

Chess crashed. When I clicked on it I could see the "starting chess" in the bottom toolbar and then It would appear for a second. Then it would just disappear.

I shut down the computer and then rebooted. Now I cant open chess at all. I'm getting really frustrated because I really like to play this game. Every time I try to launch it the game crashes.

I read the thread again and noticed that the original poster said that he had version 7.04. I have version 9.04. Does that make a difference?

Can someone please help me. I just want to play chess again.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

Re: Chess help
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:05:13 AM »
    Hi,

Ever try reinstalling Chess after getting the GL Libraries?
    When it rains, most birds head for shelter; Eagle is the only bird that flies above the clouds to avoid rain.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
    Additionally- are you using Video drivers specific to your card/card family or just the generic type installed with Ubuntu?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Topic Starter

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:34 AM »
    Hi,

Ever try reinstalling Chess after getting the GL Libraries?

How do I do that? Do I use the Ubuntu CD?

Additionally- are you using Video drivers specific to your card/card family or just the generic type installed with Ubuntu?

I'm using the generic drivers. The computer I'm using isn't the best. The video card is low end. It's and NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 with only 64mb of video ram. I don't think that it's capable of running the 3d mode. I went to the NVIDIA website and found the driver for my card but I've run into another problem here: I cant get the driver to install.

I followed the instructions on the NVIDIA site. Here's the link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_71.86.11.html

I have next to no experience with Linux, but I thought that installing a driver couldn't be too hard.

I downloaded the file and saved it to my desktop. Then I opened the terminal and typed in: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.11-pkg1.run

Every time I do that I get: Can't open NVIDIA_Linux-x86-71.86.11-pkg1.run
    I've tried doing this several times. Also I've tried clicking on the driver and running it but that doesn't help either. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this problem. Isn't there some way to undo the change I made when I ran that code? Could I find that software that I installed and delete it? If so, where would it be?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
      Hello,

Go to Applications/Ubuntu Software Centre. Type "Chess" (you might need some manipulations to the query) and you will get relevant software available in the repos and locally installed. Just Uninstall it and after it is done, install it from the list.

You could use Synaptic Package Manager alternatively, but thought Software Centre is better for you.

Good Luck.
      When it rains, most birds head for shelter; Eagle is the only bird that flies above the clouds to avoid rain.

JJ 3000

Topic Starter

Egghead
      « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
      I went to Applications -->Add/Remove and typed in chess. It found the software. It is bundled with the other games that come with Ubuntu. So, I removed games bundle, and then restarted the computer. I checked to make sure that chess was removed - it was (along with the other games).  So I went back to Add/Remove and reinstalled the bundle. Chess still crashes when I try to launch it! :'( :'(

Isn't there some way to undo the change I made when I ran that code?

Also, I'm still having the problem with the video driver. I went to System -->Administration -->Hardware Drivers and I get: Searching for drivers and then I get a window that says No proprietary drivers are in use on this system at the top. The window is empty and I can only click on Help Or Close near the bottom of that window.

Another person suggested that I might need to make the driver an executable. He said that I might be able to get the NVIDIA driver to install by running the following code into the terminal:
      Code: [Select]
      sudo chmod +x NVIDIA_Linux-x86-71.86.11-pkg1.runDo you think that will work? I'm hesitant to run this code because running a code started my problem with the chess program and I don't want to make things worse.

Any advice is appreciated.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »
        Hello,

I guess I see whats wrong. Try this in a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal):
        Code: [Select]
        sudo apt-get remove glchess
        sudo apt-get install glchess

It would be better if you could paste the output of both the commands.

JJ 3000

Topic Starter

Egghead
        « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
        Thanks for the help, Unix Guy. I really appreciate your help. I was frustrated with this issue so I decided to just reinstall Ubuntu. I wanted to upgrade to the new version anyway. So I downloaded a fresh iso of version 9.10, burned a new disk and installed. I did this the night before your last response, so I didn't have a chance to run your code.

I think I like this new version better than the previous one. It has a different look and seems more intuitive. The important thing is I can play chess on this computer again. I still can't beat it on the hard setting, but I keep trying.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »
          Hi,

Great! No reason why Chess shouldn't work now :) . Going to try the 3D Mode now?

JJ 3000

Topic Starter

Egghead
          « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 02:52:52 AM »
          I don't think I want to go down that road again.  Like I said: I don't think that my video card is capable of running the 3d mode.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.