Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

mac or pc?

mac
5 (41.7%)
pc
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: macbook pro  (Read 13463 times)

rooskie94

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • my club
  • Experience: Experienced
macbook pro
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
would a macbook pro 15' with a 320 HDD and 2.66Ghz cpu be good for school??
`don't play with fire`

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: macbook pro
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
its a good waste of money

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
would a macbook pro 15' with a 320 HDD and 2.66Ghz cpu be good for school??

don't listen to ironman.  He clearly doesn't care about helping you find the computer you need for school.

The Macbook pro you mentioned is a very nice computer, but whether or not you pick that mac, another mac, or a windows machine really depends on what you will be using it for.

Do you know what programs you want to use (photoshop, microsoft word, iMovie, etc.)

Once you enlighten us a bit on what exactly you'll need to use it for, we can help you figure out what would be a good option for you.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
And additionally, does your school have any specific software stidents are required to have and are they compatible with Mac.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »
And additionally, does your school have any specific software stidents are required to have and are they compatible with Mac.

I've never heard of a school requiring students have specific software; It's more "classes" of software, like word processors and so forth. For the most part essays and so forth are printed out. I doubt you'd lose marks if they found out you used OpenOffice or AppleWorks (say, socrates, is that still current?). Now, Information technology courses, at least from my experience, often employ expensive applications that are really only intended to be used at school. For example my high school taught 3d-animation with 3ds max; obviously, this application was not something you'd find at an affordable price for a single license. The same, very nearly, applies to Macromedia Flash (Now adobe Flash, I think).

Also, any application they DO require would most likely be cross-platform. People seem to have this concept ingrained in their mind that all good programs are written for Windows; but this simply is no longer the case; ever since Apple told Motorola to smeg off and started using intel chips the barriers to porting between the two platforms crashed faster then Oprah Winfrey on a diet. Since Mac Software and Windows Software no longer differs on the concept of numeric arrangement (little-endian versus big-endian) ports are far easier and it's really just a matter of translating the API calls between them, and while this isn't an easy task, once it's done, it's quite easy to maintain for later versions. Consider for a moment that even Microsoft has written software for Apple PCs; would they do this if they didn't feel the platform offered something?

All this being said; people who say one platform offers something better then another is pure poppycock. Certainly, back in the days of windows 98, Mac OS 8.6 (or whatever was current at the time, I believe that was the one installed on the original iMac, which I also believe was released 1998-ish) was a far more "chique" operating system; sure, windows 98 had the 3d-look, but, if you think about it, with the... (*censored*, what was it called now... appearance manager? was that it?) the appearance looked a heck of a lot like what XP looks like; and I believe the same tool could even be installed on OS 7 systems, which is pretty dang cool, if you ask me. Anyway- nowadays, I consider it really more a matter of preference. Personally, I'm used to working with the Command-line; while OS X now has a terminal, the issue for me is it's a UNIX based terminal; I mean, sure, I can ls and ct and cat and find . \( -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -o -name 'core' \) -exec rm {} \; like any other everyday Joe; you know, the basics. But I just feel more at home at a DOS prompt... or more precisely, a DOS lookalike prompt. ;D. That's a matter of preference. Users from both sides obsess over appearance; mac had this first; mac had that first, but windows can do this, blah blah blah, it's all irrelevant. Sure, the mac had one button for quite some time; but guess what? It worked. It was simple. One button was easy to grasp for people just learning the PC. what advanced users forget, is that while the mac may have a lot of seemingly redundant features, and they complain of similar features in Windows, is that these seemingly "redundant" defaults are intended for people who are just learning to use PCs; a state that many of us who are more experienced forget; when the mac was introduced, the entire idea of the mouse was really pretty new; people weren't used to it; it had to be made simple; nowadays, the mouse is nearly ubiquitous; wether you thank Apple or you thank Xerox is really irrelevant; either way, somebody would have thought of it eventually, what we have to realize is that even though we've had it for this many years; it's still a first-time experience for a LOT of people. a mouse with two buttons and a wheel may seem pretty ordinary to you and me, but it's a confusing command center to a new computer user, and I think the entire idea behind the one-button mouse was to introduce the concept, and allow for it to grow. It's not something to be made fun of; it's something to be thankful for.

Now, turning to the other side of the table, Windows... or more precisely, Microsoft, is accused often of "stealing" apples ideas. Now, this really is an interesting debate, because really, Apple just made the next logical step; just because MS made the same next-logical step a little later, doesn't necessaarily mean they "copied" them. Not to mention that even if the idea was the same, the implementation is where all the work is. an idea forms in a single person's mind; perhaps in the bathtub or shower; it's not the idea that takes a lot of work, it's cultivating the idea into something that works; the same amount of effort has to go into both parties efforts, even if the idea was stolen... the idea is, the tip of the iceberg, really.

Now then, if I'm firmly shut down yet another forming Apple Versus PC debate, as if, you know, this would be THE debate to end the millions or so other Apple Versus PC debates that have occured countless times for no reason other then the possessive vanity of the posters in question who have a near religion for one platform or another, perhaps I should try to address the original topic.

And really, all I come up with is the same as everybody else; without more specific information about what exactly it will be used for at school, it's hard to come to a good conclusion. However, the HD and Processor speed would likely be more then enough for things like reports and perhaps even some graphics work. This is probably a Dual Core Processor, right?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
lso, any application they DO require would most likely be cross-platform. People seem to have this concept ingrained in their mind that all good programs are written for Windows; but this simply is no longer the case;

Who said anything about programs designed for Windows?

In my school, it is a requirement that all media and graphics students use a Mac.

All I'm saying is beware of the difference in price between Macs and PCs.

hotelgirl

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
    Not sure if this would help, but in my opinion, for most courses/majors.. a regular macbook would suit you just fine. They are a bit cheaper, but IMO great for students. They are lightweight, have amazing battery life, and function splendidly as a student laptop. As I do not have the PRO, I can't really comment on if that one in particular would be good for you or not. However, if you are new to Mac and unsure about it, my experiences as a student using it couldn't be better. As well- they have a discount for students, I think they just increased it to $100. Goodluck!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
    Who said anything about programs designed for Windows?

In my school, it is a requirement that all media and graphics students use a Mac.

All I'm saying is beware of the difference in price between Macs and PCs.

Oh yeah, sorry, that wasn't necessarily directed at you Carbon; despite the quote, heh.

personally, I think this is kind of dumb. requiring either is completely based on the opinion of a single person in charge rather then what really is best. Now, for classroom lab computers, this I can see being a choice, but to require that all work is done on a mac (if I understand correctly) is a tad silly.

rooskie94

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • my club
    « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
    Thanks for helping guys, i just dont to go to school with my laptop i have now with vista. I just dont to be doing something for school and have it crash on me all the time.
    `don't play with fire`

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
    Thanks for helping guys, i just dont to go to school with my laptop i have now with vista. I just dont to be doing something for school and have it crash on me all the time.

Does your current laptop crash frequently?  Perhaps with some information in a new thread we could help you solve the problem and save you some money.  Or if you have your heart set on a Mac, then you could have two laptops that work.
    Evil is an exact science.

rooskie94

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • my club
    « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
    no its fine, just i rather get a mac then i can have 2 laptops for school or such
    `don't play with fire`

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
    no its fine, just i rather get a mac then i can have 2 laptops for school or such

Yep, I'm a firm believer that sometimes we just need to spoil ourselves.
    Evil is an exact science.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
    personally, I think this is kind of dumb. requiring either is completely based on the opinion of a single person in charge rather then what really is best. Now, for classroom lab computers, this I can see being a choice, but to require that all work is done on a mac (if I understand correctly) is a tad silly.

yeah, programs like Final Cut aren't availiable on Windows and all graphic designs and cinematography are taught on Macs.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »
    yeah, programs like Final Cut aren't availiable on Windows and all graphic designs and cinematography are taught on Macs.

Right.  While I agree with most of what BC said, knowing what applications (or at absolute least what he wants to do with the laptop) will help us to aid him in picking the right computer, mac or not.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:54 AM »
    yep, I agree too. I was just trying to nip it in the bud before some of the other members, like, for example, Computeruler, start spouting nonsense.  :P

rooskie94

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • my club
    « Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
    well ill just get a macbook pro for school, plus ill get a student discount  ;D
    `don't play with fire`

comda

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
    You know i do have to agree its a waste of money. But schools should have at least older macs that PCs. When i log on to this crap, It takes for ever to load. At least a power mac G4 with 300Mhz processor would work better that these pcs. Or insta;; Mac osx on them through boot123

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
    I understand.

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
      I would like to ask a question about Mac pro(Desktop).I run a softwarestudio with Pro-Tools and sometimes lots of Plug-Ins (Softsynths,drumcomputers,limiters,samplers ect. ect.) and most other studios  use Mac pro`s."They" all(or allmost all)tell me to switch to a Mac desktop but NOBODY can tell me why they are so much better.I am thinking of upgrading (In a few months I`ll be at the limit of what my computer can handle)but the Mac pro is quite expensive,for this money I can buy a nice self-build computer.
      Please if there is someone who can explain(someone who really KNOWS!!!)the difference for me without making it too difficult to understand I would be very thankfull.My computer-specs are listed in this forum.

I`ve asked this question 20-30 times,if there is anything to explain please help.

Thanks;Eric.
      Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
      Richard Lamm.