Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reccomended fan for this board and processor?  (Read 1984 times)

apophis

Topic Starter

Reccomended fan for this board and processor?
    « on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
    This is my first time posting here.  I'm much more software and programming knowledgeable than i am with hardware, but i can manage usually.  Anyway, I have a slight problem:

So, I am replacing a broken fan for a pentium 4 processor.  I think it's a 2.4, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyway, this is the fan I am removing:

http://www.cwc-group.com/c33224.html

It's a c33224 intel socket-478 fan.
    Normally, i'd just pull that out, order a new one of those, and put it in.  Unfortunatly, it's not so easy this time.  I can't seem to find that fan anywhere new for a decent price.

It's going onto an intel desktop board (d845gvfn)  Since I'm just going to put a different fan in, I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on what fan i should put in as a replacement.

xavier

Re: Reccomended fan for this board and processor?
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
    Google p4fans

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »
    That CPU fan is not a critical item. I mean to say  it is important, but it does not have to be a perfect match. The heat sink is much more important. Make sure the heat sink fits well and you use a bit of thermal grease. The fan can be anything that moves some air.
    Do you just need only the fan?
    A 92mm fan is  cheap at some surplus outlets.

apophis

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
      doing the fan and heat-sink.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
      OK. A fan and Heat Sink for a P$ using a 478 socket is usually around $35 or so, But if only the fan was broken you can get one for about $7

But..
      If you are inside the USA and you don't mind shopping on eBay you can find bother the fan and heat skin for under $10
      Not an  endorsement of the vendor. This is for informational purpose here.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/CPU-Cooling-Heatsink-Fan-for-Intel-P4-478-2-4GHZ-23-096_W0QQitemZ120512407072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0f196620

Take a look at this. I will remove this link later.