Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop freezes while running programs, virus protection software.  (Read 3808 times)

theque

Hi, sorry if this has been covered already, if it has please just direct me to where i can find out what i need.

I have a Dell, vostro 1500 running Microsoft vista basic.  I dont know the year it was made, but it isn't that old, maybe a 2007-8. 

It has a tendency to lock up often.  Especially while i'm running programs like Warcraft three, Microsoft word, internet explorer, or when i scan with Webroot Antivirus.  (it actually wont finish the scan, ever.)  I would think that the video card is good enough to run warcraft three or any online video reqs, but i've heard that that can be a common cause, so i'm not too worried about the game running well, i just need the computer to run.

I've run Defrag and scandisk, and most of the time it wont finish scanning or defragging either before it locks up.  (I dont run them at the same time.) 

My virus program, Webroot Antivirus is out of date, but not by that much.  When i run the program it finds two viruses, a Trojan and something called a Mad.d or something, but locks up before the scan is complete and i can quarantine them.

I've given the computer to a friend from geek squad who ran some tests/ said she fixed it what she thought the problem was.  It still locks up though.  This was a while ago so i can't be specific on what she did just yet, but it didn't work either way.  It seemed to get better for a while, but after about a week it went right back into the same problems.  Right now i'm running a test that i found booting it up from dos and going into the help mode, Under the symptom tree i found one that says "Computer Freezes often" and thats where i'm at right now.

Any other things i should mention?  I'm not great with computer's but i have done some reasearch online, just can't find anything that will help.  Any suggestions?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop freezes while running programs, virus protection software.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Go to the malware forum on this site and follow the instructions in the announcement at the top of that page.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop freezes while running programs, virus protection software.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »
Follow this link, follow the directions exactly and post the log files that are requested.
Evil is an exact science.