Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezes, BSODS, and Refuses to Start Up  (Read 7709 times)

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Computer Freezes, BSODS, and Refuses to Start Up
    « on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »
    I custom built a computer, and it worked fine for about a week. However I have been experiencing problems recently.
    When turning it on, one of a few things have happened. Sometimes it fails to start (it sometimes gets stuck on the Asus Express Gate page) or will restart mid way through the startup process. One time I started it in safe mode, and it got stuck on the loading files page. If it gets to the desktop, it will usually work just fine for only a few minutes, and then the picture will freeze, rendering the mouse and keyboard inoperable.  Sometimes, after the same few minutes, instead of freezing it will BSOD. It doesn't give a number I dont think. It never works longer than a few minutes.
    This all started after I decided to install iTunes and Evernote and may have been at the same time I screwed the side of my case onto the whole case. I am not sure if any of these are the cause.
    But I did system restore to before the iTunes/Evernote install, and the problem persists. I also unscrewed the side of the case thinking that somehow it might have been causing a short, but it still keeps happening. I also took out my graphics card and ran it just on the motherboard, but that didn't make a difference either.

I'm using Windows 7, and believe all my drivers are up to date.

These are my parts:
    Motherboard - MB ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750 RT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Processor - CPU AMD|PH II X4 945F 3.0G AM3 R 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Graphics Card - VGA PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GTS250 R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133266

Power Supply - PSU RAIDMAX | HYBRID2 RX-630SS 630W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

RAM - MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

Hard Drive - HDD 1.5T|SAMSUNG HD154UI 32M %

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152175

Disc Drive - DVD BURN SONY|AD-7240S-0B %

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Freezes, BSODS, and Refuses to Start Up
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
    A BSOD error message would be good if you can get it posted.

Meantime check device manager for any Yellow ! or ?'s
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
      Alright, I checked Device Manager, and under Other Devices there was an Unknown Device with a little yellow alert next to it. Windows couldn't find drivers for it. I uninstalled it, then BSODed a few minutes later and was able to write down a snippet of the error message:

IRQL-LESS.... NOT-DETECTED
      something along those lines.

I started back up, and found that the deviceIi had uninstalled was back in the device manager list. I started googling around for the error message and saw a few things related to memory issues. Should I try taking out a stick of RAM at a time to see if one or the other is faulty?

Thanks for the help!

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »
        Start -> right-click "Computer," left-click "Properties" -> "Advanced System Settings" on the left side -> "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery" -> uncheck "Automatically restart" -> Apply -> OK.

Try removing the device again from Device Manager, reboot, and let the computer BSOD.  This time, you'll have plenty of time to see the message, as it won't go away unless you turn off your PC.
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
          I did as you instructed, and upon starting up after the reboot I BSODed. This is the error message I received:

STOP: 0X0000001E (0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

However, I think this is a different error message than ones I have received in the past.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »
            Since I had failed to start (as stated in the above post) the next time I started up it asked me to launch startup repair. I got a message that Startup Repair cannot fix this problem automatically, and it listed the details:

Problem signature:
            Problem Event Name:              StartupRepairOffline
            Problem Event Signature 01:   6.1.7600.16385
            Problem Event Signature 02:   6.1.7600.16385
            Problem Event Signature 03:   unknown
            Problem Event Signature 04:   977
            Problem Event Signature 05:   AutoFailover
            Problem Event Signature 06:   1
            Problem Event Signature 07:   NoRootCause
            OS Version:            6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
            Locale ID:                    1033

I don't know if that is relevant.  I was able to get to desktop the next time I started up.

*Also, upon starting up again, the 'unknown device' is back in my device manager list.

killerb255

Adviser
              « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
              0x1E, or KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED seems to refer to a driver issue, typically.

Check ASUS' website one more time to make sure you have all your drivers up to date for the motherboard.

Check nVidia's site as well for your video card.

Check Windows/Microsoft Updates as well.

After you're done with the above, we'll need to check a few other things, since it sounds like you're getting multiple BSOD codes (the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, 0r 0x0A from one of your earlier posts being an example).  That almost always means either temperature problems, bad hardware, or corrupt OS files.

Start -> Run -> type in sfc /scannow and press Enter to run system file checking.  If it comes out clean (hopefully without BSODing in the middle of the check), then we can eliminate corrupt OS files...

Check and make sure all the fans in your PC are spinning properly.  If they are, then download SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) and make sure your temperatures aren't anything crazy.  Although opinions vary, anything over 60C for the CPU (load or idle) is considered hot.  Generally, the cooler, the better.  Video cards have a higher tolerance for heat (and often do get hot during intense gaming): anything over 70 idle, 90 load is a big worry.

If that all checks out, then check for RAM problems:

1) Download Memtest 86+: http://www.memtest.org/ and burn it to a CD.
              2) Boot your computer from the aforementioned Memtest 86+ CD and let 'er rip.
              3) Let it run for about a pass or two.  If you see any red at the bottom of the screen, you have either bad RAM or incompatible RAM.
              4) Remove a stick of RAM and repeat Steps 2 and 3 until you find out which stick of RAM is bad.

If all of your RAM comes out well, then check your hard drive for problems.  You can use the manufacturer's utilities and/or CHKDSK /r.  You can enter the CHKDSK /r from your Windows install and reboot (might not be the best idea, as it might BSOD before it reboots), from the Windows RE environment during the Startup Repair process (there should be an option to select the command prompt--type chkdsk c: /r in the command prompt, or you can boot from a Windows PE disc and do so:

How to create a Windows PE boot disc:
              http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,87312.0.html

Whatever method you use, if the end result is that you have bad sectors, the problem is your hard drive.

If your RAM and hard drive come out clean, then eliminate the following in this order:

1) Any expansion cards (PCI or PCI-Express) that are NOT your video card.
              2) Your SATA and/or IDE cables (just make sure they don't look like they're damaged)
              3) Your DVD burner.
              4) Your video card being physically damaged (borrow a spare if at all possible)
              5) Your power supply (again, borrow a spare if at all possible)

If the problem still exists after doing all that, then the problem is most likely your motherboard.  The CPU could also be a factor, but it's unlikely...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:21:52 PM by killerb255 »
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
                Okay. So there have been some developments.

Last night I got it started up. I decided I should uninstall quicktime, because that came at the same time as the iTunes install, which was when the trouble started. So I uninstalled,  and it lasted an hour without any freezes or BSODs or anything. So I decided to leave it on for a few hours and see how long it could last. It lasted 5 hours before I shut it down because I was going to bed.
                This morning I started it up and it was doing fine. I shut it down and started up later in the day to try and test it by playing a game. I got to the first start screen of the game and I BSODed, the same STOP error I received above. I shut it off and restarted, and started up the game again, and was able to play just fine for two hours when I had to stop playing. No problems. Things are looking up.
                Then tonight I go to try and play a different game with a friend and it automatically restarts (no BSOD) at the beginning of the game before I was able to play.
                It gets just past the green ASUS screen and freezes, so I manually power off and back on a few times, trying to see if I can get past that to Windows. Sometimes it gets stuck on the ASUS Express gate page. After manually powering off and on again I get an error message after the green ASUS screen:
                "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."
                I power off and back on, and after the green ASUS screen I get:
                "A disc read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt +  el to restart"
                *and yes, the 'D' was missing from 'Del'
                So I power off and back on, and I get to a screen asking me to start Windows in safe mode. I do, and after loading the files I get a BSOD error like this:
                Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80001C9C5C8, 0xFFFFF88001DA6FA8, 0xFFFFF8801DA6800)

I'd like to try the stuff you posted just above, but now I'm having trouble even getting to Windows.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
                  Okay, got to windows, ran sfc /scannow, and Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Running speedfan, and the temps listed are as follows:
                  (green checkmark) GPU: 42C
                  (blue down arrow) Temp1: 35C
                  green checkmark) Temp2: 42C
                  (blue down arrow) Temp3: -128C
                  (blue down arrow) HD0: 33C
                  (blue down arrow) Core: 37C

killerb255

Adviser
                    « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
                    Looks like your temps are good (ignore the -128C there--it's probably trying to read a probe that doesn't exist).

It is very much looking like some kind of hardware problem, considering that you've had at least three different BSOD codes...

Time to test RAM.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:01 PM »
                      Okay, I used memtest.
                      I first tested with both sticks of RAM in the first two slots, and I got a message that said it had encountered an unexpected interrupt and was halting (pics attached). I manually shut off.
                      I then tested each stick in the first slot separately.
                      The first stick was doing well but then this alarm type noise started, and the bottom half of the screen went red, and it started counting errors up to 100 very quickly, at which point I manually shut it off.
                      Then I tested the second stick in the first slot and the same thing happened, except without the noise, and the error came much faster and added up to over 9000 errors before I shut it off. 
                      I guess I have a RAM problem?
                      Attached are pictures of the first error message I received using both sticks or RAM.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
                      Blow out the RAM slots with a can of compressed air.
                      Clean the contacts on each RAM module with rubbing alcohol and let dry.
                      Replace 1 stick of RAM only in the slot closest to the CPU.
                      Re-run MemTest.
                      Repeat for the other stiks...1 at a time.

Good Luck.

youremad

Topic Starter

Rookie
                        « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »
                        I don't have access to my compressed air or rubbing alcohol for a week. However, both the slots and the contacts seem clean - is that good enough?

What other steps can I take? Should I start the warranty/RMA process?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
                        I would...

killerb255

Adviser
                          « Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
                          Should I start the warranty/RMA process?

Once you determine which sticks of RAM are causing Memtest to go cuckoo, go for it.