Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 update locks me out  (Read 4270 times)

chris101

windows 98 update locks me out
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:28:40 PM »
I am running window 98 and recently went to the microsoft windows update page and downloaded about 22 updates, since doing so my windows locks up as it boots up,  when i hit ctrl/shift/del  it tells me that programs such as run.dll and loadqm are no longer responding

is there anyway to fix this? ive been looking around but cant find anything about it

i tried reinstalling windows (not formatting) but it didnt do anything, i can load up in safe mode but tahts about it.

anything anyone can tell me that would help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

merlin_2

Re: windows 98 update locks me out
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:14:41 PM »
maybe to many download at the same time has caused your problem........either use scanreg/restore or scanreg/fix....typed in the msdos prompt.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 07:06:21 PM »
Did you download Critical Updates and Updated Drivers.  I suspect an "updated driver" got you.

chris101

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »
Hey.....   well i ran scanreg/restore and fix,  restore said it couldnt do it and fix said it fixed it, i then restarted and low and behold... same problem

i putterd around in diagnostic mode and played with some of the autoexec boxes....,  right now i got it to the point where i can backup my files thru the network (which i am in the process of doing) i think the conflict was in the video card..., probably an updated driver that my radeon didnt like

anyways,  im happy now i can save the pictures i thought i woulda lost. if the problem persists i can just format now.  thanks for your help anyway,  much appreciated, good to know there are at least people willing to help around, and in a timely manner!

later guys,  thanks

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:35:50 PM »
    probably an updated driver that my radeon didnt like

Probably a backdated driver that radeon didn't like.
    Windows update will try & replace your shiny new drivers with rusty old (certified) ones.