Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: down grade windows 7 towindows XP  (Read 14637 times)

Hankster58

Beginner
    Re: down grade windows 7 towindows XP
    « Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »
    That IS "their e-mail deal"!! My beef is WHY am I forced to use what THEY want, or do without??? Why isn't a "save" just a "save"??? The claim you can "use any e-mail program" is true.. you just have to be willing to lose all your stored e-mails it would seem .... UNLESS you use "their deal". So the whole argument they put up about not GIVING you "Windows Mail" (which I used and liked!!) so not to infringe on other programs ability to be used is just so much B.S. ..... and, why can't I just GET an "Email" program from MS??? Why is that "Live" thing full of stuff I do not WANT or NEED.... hence the "bloatware" claims against MS... i guess some will get riled i've impuned MS again.. but I feel my claim is valid here!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
    Did you make any system backups before installing Win7 ? ?
    Your TBird Profile is located in Docs and Settings/user name/applications/Mozilla/Thunderbird/Profile...

Or Mozback is a handy little app for backing up/restoring Profiles in both FireFox and Thunderbird...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
    That IS "their e-mail deal"!!
    What is, Windows Live Mail? 

why can't I just GET an "Email" program from MS???
    You can.  That is Windows Live Mail; it's a Microsoft product.   ::)

Why is that "Live" thing full of stuff I do not WANT or NEED.... hence the "bloatware" claims against MS
    At http://download.live.com/wlmail, you see Mail, Messenger, Photo Gallery, etc.  Just get Mail.  You do not need to install all the programs listed on the Windows Live page.  The initial download is a 1.1MB installer file. Once you open it, you can choose what programs you actually want to install.

jkolak

Hopeful
      « Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
      That IS "their e-mail deal"!! My beef is WHY am I forced to use what THEY want, or do without???

I would say at this point that it would just be good to be glad MS has a solution to help you save your data.

After you get it all transferred over, you can transfer it again to another app and dump MS.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
      After you get it all transferred over, you can transfer it again to another app and dump MS.
      He could, but I'd give WLM a try.  I use it with Win 7 and like it. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
      So the whole argument they put up about not GIVING you "Windows Mail" (which I used and liked!!) so not to infringe on other programs ability to be used is just so much B.S.
      Yeah that's total B.S. they only got sued once before for something like that. (Netscape V. Microsoft). This is teh same reason that the applets are generally quite limited.

another of MS little "gotcha's"!!! Promised one thing...got another!

Doubt it, it's saved somewhere.

Although strangely I can find absolutely no reference to Windows 7 upgrade backing up e-mails nor where they are saved.  ???
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jkolak

Hopeful
        « Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
        Doubt it, it's saved somewhere.

Although strangely I can find absolutely no reference to Windows 7 upgrade backing up e-mails nor where they are saved.  ???

I would imagine that when Windows upgrades, it leaves applications in place with their data.

If an application is no longer supported by the new Windows, I would expect it to be in Discarded Windows Installation Files.

Hankster58

Beginner
          « Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
          Ya know BC... it's really hard to have an honest "conversation" when you have to do it in lil "snippets" like we do here.... face to face I think you'd find we have a LOT more in common than we disagree on..... that said.... I Give up! I installed Windows live mail whatever.. and sure enough it's designed to import their content 1,2,3!! So i did as the instructions said.... and you can see all my old folders show up, the number of e-mails in them.. and the numbers whizzing as they load in!! COOL!! Well, cool until you actually CLICK on one to open it... nothin happens!! Click "properties" of the folder??? NO FILES!! ZERO content!!  Now, I SAW them being downloaded..... saw the correct numbers.... what the heck is THIS???
          Patio.. unfortunately, I installed Thunderbird AFTER the upgrade...had no previous experience with it, no backup etc... all new. All I was counting on was the MS install to do what it said, save the email data for use on the "program of my choice"..... and it isn't happening..... now it doesn't even show up on the MICROSOFT brand product! ok... now what.

ok.. did an import again... it says it downloaded the e-mails in "Windows Mail Format"..... does THIS have a bearing on the problem??? If so.....how do i fix it???