Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Boot  (Read 2382 times)

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dual Boot
    « on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »
    I am getting ready to reformat/reinstall XP Pro/7. Right now they are on the same hard drive. I have read that I no longer have to have both OS's on the same hard drive so I want each on it's own hdd (I have dual 320 Gb Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA hdd's) My question is which OS should I install first or does it really matter?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Dual Boot
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
    Always install the older OS first (in this case, XP). And they NEVER needed to be installed on the same HD.

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
      Great! Thanx Allan!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
      Sure - I like the easy ones ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
      Whether they are SATA or IDE this procedure is the same ...with a few twists.

Since they are identical HDD's you want to create a Volume label that will show up as the drives ID...drive letters won't do it. Early on in the setup process you will see this option...name each HDD whatever you want but something that will distinguish which is which.

Hook up the 1st drive and proceed with the XP install. If IDE set it as master on IDE1
      If SATA hook it up to SATA1 on the MBoard.
      After the XP install DLoad update and install all device drivers for the machine.
      Power down and re-boot a few times. Make sure all devices are running properly.
      Install update and run the anti-virus app of your choice.
      Power down and remove the XP hard drive.

Repeat the above procedure with the 2nd drive installing Win7...with the 1st drive removed from the equation.
      Use the exact same cabling and layout methods and again DLoad,update and install all device drivers for the machine.

Power down.
      Hook up both drives ...if IDE drives then hook up XP as master and Win7 as slave.
      If SATA XP on SATA1 and Win7 on SATA 2 or 3 depending on the MBoard documentation.

Re-boot and enter the BIOS the 1st boot to select which drive to boot from...from here you should be good to go....

After this you will have a clean dual-boot system where both OS's can see/use data from each but their boot records don't bang heads and wind up with a non bootable machine...

NOTE: Each time you startup you will need to enter Setup to choose which drive/OS you want to boot...no biggee...i have the keystrokes down to about 3.5 seconds flat.

Best of Luck on your build.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "