Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hp laptop led activity no boot  (Read 2170 times)

Ecardius

Hp laptop led activity no boot
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:39:09 AM »
Hi guys a friend of mine asked me to take a look at her HP Laptop which is no longer booting.  She said this problem had just recently came into play.  No additional hardware has been added to the computer either.  I have gotten the same results with both the ac adapter plugged in and not plugged in.  When I press the power on button all of the lights on the laptop turn on such as the the sound control and the stop start and fast forward stuff at the top of the keyboard.  Also illuminated is the built in wireless feature on this machine. The power on light in also on but the lightning bolt and what looks to be a stack of cd's lights aren't on.  And the lightning bolt and stack of cd's lights are right next to the power on light.  (I apologize for the description)  Besides that I do hear an active fan on but the screen remains completely black.  There is no indication of a boot or even a failed boot so figuring in a dead hard drive would be the last thing on my list.  I also tried to use a spare battery for this machine and no effect.  Below are the specs for this machine.  Thanks for your time.

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (dv2000)
Vista Home premium

Sorry I couldn't get more on the machines specs as I never was able to get into it and my friend isnt computer savvy to know the features by heart.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hp laptop led activity no boot
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:58:38 AM »
That stack of CD's image is actually the HDD activity light...

Which means that HDD may have failed.
Determine what make of HDD is in that machine...travel to the drive manuf. site and DLoad their free diagnostics.
Follow the instructions to create a bootable CD.
Then boot to the CD and run the drive fitness test.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ecardius

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
Thanks for your advice Patio.  I reseated the HD as well as the memory sticks in this computer but still no luck.  Im going to let her know its "probably" the hard drive.  I didn't have any luck finding diagnosis software on there website though :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
Hitachi or Fujitsu ? ?

Can't remember which but one of them does not provide one.

PS....This will be the moment when she explains how her entire history of life is on that HDD and she doesn't have any backups.....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ecardius

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »
Well the laptop seems to be ok now.  I just tried to turn it on when I got home and it fired right up...Strange.  There is another smaller problem that I have discovered...however it is software related so I will post in the correct forum.  :)