Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: moving shares, but keeping users' shorcut the same ?  (Read 6991 times)

snufles

Topic Starter

Rookie

moving shares, but keeping users' shorcut the same ?
    « on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
    We run a Windows Server 2003 environment (2 DC's) with multiple XP workstations, latest Service Packs.

Users all have a shortcut on their XP workstations that point to server1 for shared folders (\\server1\...).
    We need to move the shared folders to server2, but we want to keep the user shorcuts to "\\server1" as is.
    We tested with making a CNAME record in the DNS called "shared" and pointing it to the IP of server1...Did a ping and it resolved to the correct IP address (goal was to see if we could path to "\\shared" through windows explorer, but could not." 
    Our intention was to move the shares to server2 and put a CNAME record called server1 that would resolve to server2's IP address. But it's obvious that wont work since our little test failed.

How can we do this, simplified. Thanks...

wbrost

Intermediate
      Re: moving shares, but keeping users' shorcut the same ?
      « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
      have you checked into DFS? This is very picky about the configuration but once it is running you can modify paths without changing the users short cuts or paths.

check out the link:
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738688%28WS.10%29.aspx

snufles

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:18:27 AM »
        Yea I've looked into Distributed File System. Just wanted a quick fix for now, plus I'm not sure how DFS would work with a Hard Drive Enclosure; yet. Ultimately that will be the way we go, again just wanted a quick fix so we can hardware upgrade next week. Thanks!

Still researching so if anyone knows a way, or has a idea I can look into please post.

snufles

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »
          Well after almost two full days of research there are three solutions for me, here they are for anyone with a similar issue...

1) Create alias in WINS server - server1 must be taken offline for this to work

2) Create CNAME record server1 to point to server2's IP address, then reg hack on server2
              HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanman\Parameters\DisableStrictNameChecking (DWORD = 1)

3) Registry hack again - server1 must be taken offline for this to work
              HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanman\Parameters\OptionalNames (REG_SZ = server1 name here)
              Do believe you can make it a multiple string value if need be

Haven't tried anyone of these, but I'm sure they will do the trick

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
            Why not map a drive on their pcs to the new share?
            If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.