Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless USB modem --> getting online problem  (Read 6502 times)

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wireless USB modem --> getting online problem
    « on: January 29, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
    Hello all,

I have a problem with the wireless USB network card (Linksys). I bought it recently and it worked fine for three days, without any issues, but then suddenly it couldn't connect to the internet anymore. Although, it said i was connected to the modem (which is in the upper floor, secured with a key and has an administrator, btw.) but the connection was limited, so access to the internet was denied. When windows (vista) analyzed the problem, it said something like that there was a problem getting an IP address. Well, I took the modem back to store to fix it, but the problem is not solved. I tried another usb modem (Belkin) but it had discovered identical problems. So I suppose the hardware is alright, there must be a problem with the configuration?

P.S. I have a PC. There was a laptop (with the wireless modem) in the room with working internet.

Thanks very much for helping me out in advance.

EEVIAC

Re: Wireless USB modem --> getting online problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »
    but the connection was limited

Could you describe this with more detail?

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:47 AM »
      yes, well i can say only as windows says "the connection is limited", which probably means that i can connect to the host but cannot connect to the internet. i am no expert so unfortunately i cant say more...

Starlight

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:03:19 AM »
        I had a similar problem once, but it was solved after leaving my pc off for a day. Dont know if it'll work for you but no harm trying ;)

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »
        yes, well i can say only as windows says "the connection is limited", which probably means that i can connect to the host but cannot connect to the internet. i am no expert so unfortunately i cant say more...

Are you even authorized to use the wireless router?  Does the owner of the router know who you are?

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:48:49 AM »
          My computer has been off over a weekend and it was not solved... But it is interesting that when is switched modems (Belkin to Linksys) it started working and it worked until I shut down the computer. When I tried this once again next day, it had no effect.

Of course I have permission from the admin, he gave me password and everything.

:(

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
          Of course I have permission from the admin, he gave me password and everything.

my apologies.. I had to ask because I couldn't really tell..

Anyway, intermittent connectivity could indicate a software problem.. Restart the computer and tap f8 until you get to "advanced boot options".. Select Safe Mode with Netowrking

Try connecting and see what you get..        If it works then we've got to sift around your computer to find the culprit software..

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:56:22 AM »
            safe mode did not help. I tried to disable/enable the device a couple of times and then try to connect to the network and suddenly it started working. I was online for about an hour, and then again the same...

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »
            I tried to disable/enable the device a couple of times and then try to connect to the network and suddenly it started working. I was online for about an hour, and then again the same..

What device?

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:32 AM »
              My Linksys USB modem.

EEVIAC

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
              That's what I figured, but I had to make sure..

You've gone through two USB modems and still have the problem and experiencing intermittent connectivity.  This seems to be software problem. What the make/model of the Linksys USB modem and the make/model of the computer you're using the modem on...  I think we should start by trying to find a better driver..

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:28 AM »
                I think that too...

My OS is Vista, 32-bit.
                Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.13 GHz, processor
                2GB of DDR2 RAM, random access memory
                Gigabyte GA-965P- DS3, motherboard
                GeForce 8600GT with 512MB of GDDR3 RAM, graphic card

1.) Wireless Network USB Adapter, Model No.: WUSB100-EU
                2.) Belkin p57265ed-B, G Wireless USB Adapter

P.S. I have already updated USB drivers, both adapters are compatible with Vista, I have installed drivers provided on the CD of the manufacturer.

EEVIAC

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
                If you haven't done so yet, using another computer, go here:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB100/download

Select Version 2.0, 32 bit, 11/9/2009 driver, download it and save it to a thumb drive, or what ever you want..

Copy the driver .zip folder to your Vista desktop, right click on it and unzip it to somewhere you know to find it..

Click on START, type "device manager"... Open Device Manager (while the Linksys USB adapter is plugged in)...Click on the "plus" sign next to "network adapters", right click on the USB modem and click "update", select to browse your computer for the folder with the driver files and select the folder and click "next" to finish installing the driver...   Try Connecting to Internet and browsing again..

BTW... If you see any yellow exclamation marks in device manager next to your USB adapter, right click on the adapter and click properties and tell me what the info. says under "device status"

Also..What is the signal quality you've been getting....How many bars?

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
                  Sorry for  late answer, I was away for a while.

I have installed the driver as you suggested. The problem has not been solved. There is indeed an exclamation mark, but not in the device manager, but in the down-right corner of the toolbar (where it says the connection was limited).

The signal is OK (from medium  to high).

I was wondering if the USB ports might be the reason, so I updated the drivers for USB ports too, but the problem remains. It is really driving me mad ...

Thanks for help so far, I really hope we can get to the bottom of this!

sw00sh3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 09:26:52 AM »
                    Oh I forgot to say that in the properties of my USB adapter says that it is working properly. I am connected to the local network, but without connection to the internet.