Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deletion of a surplus Windows.  (Read 4636 times)

1robert

Topic Starter

Starter

Deletion of a surplus Windows.
    « on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:07 AM »
     First. I live in Spain and have an  XP installation in English thus help is NOT easy.
     I purchased a new computer in December following local advice. I had been having significant instability with Windows -the local engineer transferred -after a scan showing a virus -all my data and software to an external HDD. I then purchased a new computer solely because my old one was out of date in some ways.
     I successfully installed a new Windows from a newly purchased XP [SP3} CD.
     I now have a fully operational computer -faster-stable and satisfactory -BUT BUT BUT-I have alarge external HDD containing an 'old' Windows plus IE8 etc etc.together with my personal data .
    I would like-if possible- to keep everything on the External HDD  EXCEPT the old Windows.
    Is this possible ? How can I delete ONLY Windows [which has an old -no longer available  key]

Salmon Trout

Re: Deletion of a surplus Windows.
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:13:50 AM »
    I would like-if possible- to keep everything on the External HDD  EXCEPT the old Windows.

Delete the Windows folder. Keep the rest.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Deletion of a surplus Windows.
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »
    Yes, boot to the new windows installation and delete the old windows folder - it's that simple. And don't worry, windows will not let you delete the installation to which you have booted.