Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me upgrade?  (Read 2476 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Help me upgrade?
    « on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
    Could you guys please give me some ideas on what i might want to upgrade in the next coming months?
    would you say anything is out of date?
    and i have about 140$ budget on upgrades what would be the best selection for my budget?

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Re: Help me upgrade?
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:23:05 PM »
      I would use the $140 towards a new Video Card, and faster RAM.

You can get a GeForce 220 GT 1GB video card w/SLI support, for around $75.

Use the remaning $65 for faster RAM.

Since your CPU has 1066 FSB, I would step my RAM up to DDR2 1066.
      (Your MoBo supports 1333 FSB, but your CPU is only 1066)

You might not get 3GB for $65, but you can get 2GB for around $50-55.

I can't see why you would want to upgrade your CPU. It might be socket 775, but still a decent CPU. Same with the MoBo.

I guess you could always upgrade to Windows 7 and skip the hardware upgrade for now.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
      What to spend your money on?

Media usage: Hard drive
      Gaming: Graphics Card
      Mutitasking: RAM

To put it simply, what do you want the computer to do better at?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
      Where the heck ya been wefro ? ?

Long see...no time !

;)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
        What to spend your money on?

Media usage: Hard drive
        Gaming: Graphics Card
        Mutitasking: RAM

To put it simply, what do you want the computer to do better at?

Oh gaming is what I'm using it for
        but i think i should get more ram to since I have alot of programs that consume memory and i need them running up a good bit.
        and hi patio

t_blake07

Apprentice
          « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:29:06 AM »
          If more RAM is what you want, then you might wanna think about whether or not you even want/need faster RAM. Guess it's all up to you. Maybe more RAM, and a new video card?

I actually had the 8800 GT a couple years back in a custom build of mine. I liked it, but I think you get a little more bang for your buck in these newer cards.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
            If more RAM is what you want, then you might wanna think about whether or not you even want/need faster RAM. Guess it's all up to you. Maybe more RAM, and a new video card?

I actually had the 8800 GT a couple years back in a custom build of mine. I liked it, but I think you get a little more bang for your buck in these newer cards.

oh t_blake this is another dumb question with GeForce? on Newegg I'm getting brands like Sparkle, Evga etc which one do i chose?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »
            *scratches head* that config is pretty similar to what I have now and I have yet to find a game or anything that chokes on my config.

Anyway... another thing to consider is that, if your using on-board audio, all your games are having their audio and audio effects mixed and processed by your CPU; you can get a separate sound card that has it's own DSP (such as, for example , an audigy or X-Fi (but not the Audigy SE or X-Fi XtremeMusic, they are no better then on-board). Not sure how much it will help but it's something to consider.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

t_blake07

Apprentice
              « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
              That's a good point on the sound cards. But... If the audio on the nForce 650i Is anything similar to the audio on a 780i, then it makes it kind of hard to want to spend the money on a sound card. Non the less it would help with perfomance a little bit. I'm not too sure that he is having performance issues.

Wefro, i'm assuming that you will want to stay with the Nvidia processor. Now it's time to decide which card manufacturer you will want. Some well known, well established companies include:

EVGA
              ASUS
              PNY
              BFG
              MSI

It's always good practice to read the customer reviews once you find a card that interests you. A lot of helpful info can be brought to your attention in these reviews, and a lot of times end up affecting your decision whether or not to buy.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
                *scratches head* that config is pretty similar to what I have now and I have yet to find a game or anything that chokes on my config.

Anyway... another thing to consider is that, if your using on-board audio, all your games are having their audio and audio effects mixed and processed by your CPU; you can get a separate sound card that has it's own DSP (such as, for example , an audigy or X-Fi (but not the Audigy SE or X-Fi XtremeMusic, they are no better then on-board). Not sure how much it will help but it's something to consider.

maybe i should just get more RAM and get a new graphics card later on...

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »
                Me personally i would just go out for a nice steak dinner and afterwards buy a nice bottle of Single Malt Scotch and cut my losses...
                But that's me...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "