Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MOUSE Stops Working  (Read 10804 times)

designsbynm

MOUSE Stops Working
« on: June 11, 2004, 07:27:38 AM »
Have a new computer that my friend just put together for me.... Everything "seems" to be OK for a while - then the mouse will just freeze for what appears to be no reason. Same mouse I used on my previous computer for 2 years with no problems and as I said - it works on this computer for a while - then just quits... any suggestions as to what it might be? Computer has basically minimal software on it right now... XP Pro, AOL and Office - thats it.... I don't even know where to start looking to fix this problem.....

merlin

Raptor

Re: MOUSE Stops Working
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 01:42:09 PM »
Did you test another mouse yet?

If it's a wireless mouse you might want to change the batteries if you haven't done so yet.

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 08:55:01 PM »
First, get rid of AOL.

If you have another mouse, try it and see if the problem persists. Also see if the MB has proper cooling to the chipset and the area of the KB and mouse ports.

If you haven't yet, install virus killer software. Trend Micro http://housecall.trendmicro.com provides a free online scan, and Grisoft www.grisoft.com provides a free version resident AVG antivirus that works. If these detect a virus, evict it.

If the PS2 port is taking a powder, switch to a serial-port or USB mouse.

designsbynm

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Problem started before I loaded AOL on the computer - but someone is coming out on Monday to set up the cable internet.  :)

Mouse is USB. Friend also had USB mouse and had the same problem at his place... different mice - same problem.. I have used all 3 USB ports (2 on front and 1 on back) and happens with all 3. Also happened right after hard drive was formatted and windows loaded... long before internet was ever accessed..... ???

folklore

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 10:20:23 AM »
If you are using Windows XP, try to load the latest service pack. The latest is Service Pack 2. I have had some USB problems before loading SP2, which are resolved now. Give it a try :)

Regards,

FolkLore

tom schlup

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 09:03:23 AM »
where is the best place to download service pack 2??
Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 10:06:12 AM »
Can you even get Service Pack 2 yet? Legally?

MalikTous

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 03:56:41 PM »
If I'm going to go to the trouble of running a USB pointing device, I'd use a nice big trackball there.

On the PS2 port, I'd keep a standard bottom-end MS or Logitech mouse for use when I need safe mode. The USB driver doesn't come up in safe mode on all systems.

There may be a 'USB legacy device' or 'USB Dos Compatibility' option in BIOS that you need to switch on to see the USB pointer and keyboard.