Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help!!! My Vista pc seems doomed!!!  (Read 3217 times)

bdonley66

Topic Starter

Starter

Help!!! My Vista pc seems doomed!!!
    « on: January 30, 2010, 03:47:58 AM »
    The 1st thing to happen to it was the dreaded blue screen that says:  'unmountable boot volume' along with a few things to try such as booting with the Vista disk, etc.  So then I did try the disk to no avail!  And so then I went into the bios at boot & messed around in there a bit, but I don't think I really changed anything tho.  Now I have a black screen (no cursor even!) and I cannot boot from ANYWHERE or get into the bios - NOTHING!  Can someone please tell me I havent lost all my family photographs & videos???
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:05:16 AM by bdonley66 »

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Re: Help!!! My Vista pc seems doomed!!!
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:55:44 AM »
      Please modify your post so we can at least read it. Preferably black font. Then maybe we can assist you better. Thanks.

t_blake07

Apprentice
        « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:55 AM »
        Ahh, much better. Thank you.  ;D

Ok, first thing's first, what steps did you take when you tried the Vista disk?
        « Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:19:05 AM by t_blake07 »

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »
        The bios is no place to mess around. I suggest you disconnect from power, open the case, remove the battery, hold down the power button for half a minute to fully discharge, then wait another couple of minutes. Then put the battery back in and restore power to reset the bios - then you can go from there.

bdonley66

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
          I know, I realize that but I thought I could try the suggestions the blue screen was suggesting.  But thank you for the battery reset idea - i'm gonna try that.

t_blake07

Apprentice
            « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
            I know, I realize that but I thought I could try the suggestions the blue screen was suggesting.  But thank you for the battery reset idea - i'm gonna try that.

Odds are, resetting the CMOS/BIOS will get you to a point that you can then fix the "Unmountable Boot Volume" issue. Let us know when you've completed the battery step.

bdonley66

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
              okay, I reset it after taking out the battery & I still get the same thing as before.  It makes 3 long beeps and the moniter tries to come on but just flashes then shuts completly off but the pc stays running.
              Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
              This is the first time you mentioned the beeps. Go to the website of your bios provider and see what 3 beeps means.

bdonley66

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
                ok I went to the Intel website to where they told me these things to try;  1.)  download a bios recovery cd & boot with it.
                                              that didnt work.

2.) take out the bios config jumper pin & boot with that same cd
                                              that didnt work.

All hope of recovering family pics on that hard drive should be gone right?  Is there anything else to try?

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
                If you have tried everything and you still can't recover windows then there is still hope for your files. As long as its just the operating system and not your hard drive that is physically damaged then you should be able to put that hard drive in another computer and copy your files over with no problems.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »

When considering recovery of data the HDD has nothing to do with the system being able to boot or not...
                Slave Drive Info...

The drive does NOT need to be bootable for you to retrieve your data...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "