Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Space on disk D constantly decreasing?!  (Read 3405 times)

PlatinumTheHitgirl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Space on disk D constantly decreasing?!
    « on: May 09, 2016, 01:17:58 AM »
    So, a couple days ago, I used to have a little over 3 GB of free space out of 125 GB on my D drive. I moved some stuff of about 1 GB from D to C, and while it took up space in C, the move didn't clear any space on disk D. A little while later, after constantly refreshing the page, the amount of free space being shown on D dwindled down to 1.09 GB. And now, two days later, it shows that there is only 3.37 MB of free space left in D, even when I neither added, deleted, moved, copied or did anything with the files on D!

When I look up the total of the space taken up by the files in the drive, I find that they only use  102 GB. So where does the rest of the space go? And why does the free space keep decreasing when I'm doing practically NOTHING, and how can I make it stop?!

Also, my recycle bin is empty and restore points for D are turned off. I've tried to run disk cleanup, but there's nothing to cleanup.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Space on disk D constantly decreasing?!
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:17:26 AM »
    I suggest you start by running tree size (https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) to see where the space is being used. You also might want to run full scans with both your installed anti virus app as well as with MalwareBytes.