Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: emachine won't boot up  (Read 9987 times)

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    emachine won't boot up
    « on: January 29, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
    I have an emachines ET1831-07 that won't boot. I get to  the  E logo that states press Del or F12 but neither key does anything. I tried using the restore disc I created when I got the computer but the computer does not recognize the disc. When I power up The LED comes on ,I get one short beep, the key board LED's flash once,and that's it. If I hole the esc key while booting up I get a screen that states that I have AMIBIOS 2009 copyright ACER. The other info seems correct such as CPU,Dual core,etc. It also states Initilizing USB controllers. I have diconnected everything external-memory, speakers, mouse. When I restart I arrive at the same point, the E logo. Any help would be appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: emachine won't boot up
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
    What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
      Nothing, I played solitaire last night and listened to musicthen shut down for the night.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
      Reboot and start tapping the F8 function key as soon as the system starts to boot. Do you get to the advanced boot option screen? If so, can you get into safe mode?

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
        I read the forum and tried the suggested F keys The only thing that gets a respose is the esc and insert keys. But to answer your specific question the F8 key does nothing.

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
          I have tried several things since my last entry... such as trying to get a stuck key response, turning off the computer during boot up, unplugging my computer over night.  This morning on my 3rd attempt the computer ran repair on it's own.  I said it found 1 "item" .  I checked the error log and didn't see anything.  I hit auto restart and it booted up normally. However, I got a message that something was trying to interfere with my avast antivirus.  It asked if I wanted to allow that.  I said no.  I got my normal desktop.  I immediately clicked on my Malwarebyte anti malware which I have had on the computer for several months and it said it was unsupported.  Then I clicked on my avast anti virus and clicked on scan computer and now it is frozen.  I tried...CTRL ALT DEL, ESC, & Break  and got no response from any of these.  My computer is still on as I'm afraid to turn it off because it took me at least 50 attempts to get to this point.  Ideas?????

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
          If the screen is frozen there's no sense in staying there. Try to reboot. if you can, then lease follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
          http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

If you cannot, I suggest you download and burn a boot time antivirus to cd and boot to it and let it run a scan.

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
            I did reboot and got the safemode menu. The first thing I did was run my malwareand it found maleware attached to my avast antivirus. Then avast was running and I found a virus in my external memory backup. Avast then prompted me to scan my boot up and found several viruses and malware in my boot up that came through Java and Twitter both of which I don't use. Then my windows did an automatic scan and found 2 unsolvable errors so I sent them my logs from all this and am awaiting a solution from them. What a mess. I don't know where I got these viruses and malware from and couldn't really tell from the logs but Avast and Windows both got my logs. I do remember downloading some updates from what I thought was Java. I think I am up and running pending something from Windows. Should I mark this problem as solved?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
            If you feel we've provided all the assistance we can then I'll go ahead and mark it solved. Thanks for the follow up and good luck with the system.

raywaterbug

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
              Yes everything seems to work, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
              Sure thing.