Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disable MUICache  (Read 26102 times)

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Disable MUICache
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
Is it possible to disable MUICache in windows. The reason I ask is because whenever I download a lot of programs into my temporary directory, it always puts them into the MUICache. After the temp files are cleaned, they still remain in the MUICache until CCleaner ends up having to clean them. Is there a way to just stop these temp files from going to the MUICache?
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Salmon Trout

Re: Disable MUICache
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »
Why do you think you need to do anything about them? It is normal Windows behaviour. Each time that you start using a new application, Windows automatically extracts the application name from the version resource of the exe file, and stores it for using it later, in the Registry key known as the 'MuiCache'. It's just a list of application names.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:10:58 AM by Salmon Trout »

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
Why do you think you need to do anything about them?

No reason other than always having reg errors in CCleaner because of it. I'm just trying to avoid that if possible. Yes, I am a bit OCD about what is on my comp.

It is normal Windows behaviour. Each time that you start using a new application, Windows automatically extracts the application name from the version resource of the exe file, and stores it for using it later, in the Registry key known as the 'MuiCache'. It's just a list of application names.

So there is no way to disable it? The reason why it causes me more errors than most people is because I am a programmer and I often have up to 30 exes in my temporary directory. Maybe a way to disable it only for temp?
YouTube

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
No reason other than always having reg errors in CCleaner because of it.

I think the problem is caused by CCleaner. They are only "errors" because the author of CCleaner says they are. Personally, I think execessive use of magic registry cleaners can cause a lot of unnecessary alarm. Programs like CCleaner can be very dangerous to your computer. No registry “cleaner” is completely safe. There is also no hard evidence that “cleaning” out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a machine. It will speed up searches within the registry itself – but has no effect on overall performance. I realise this view may be controversial, but I firmly believe it. The other functions, temp file deletion, etc, may have some very small marginal effect, but the registry "cleaning" function is just snake oil. If you actually want to know what the muicache registry entry does (and that's all it is - it's not a cache of files) here is a pretty good summary

http://ilostmynotes.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/muicache-registry-key-mystery-de.html

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:51:19 PM by Salmon Trout »

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »

If you are OCD about your PC then i'd stop using registry cleaners..............as Salmon says.
11 cheers for binary !

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
If you are OCD about your PC then i'd stop using registry cleaners..............as Salmon says.

I couldn't put it better... plus if you are a "programmer", then as such you should know better. Anyhow, the expression "OCD" carries the implication of pathologically unecessary, excessive and counterproductive "checking" and pointless overdoing of needless precautions.* It's something to be overcome and tamed, not something to be proud of or use as an explanation.

*Without going into detail about my family, I do know what I am talking about here.

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
I couldn't put it better... plus if you are a "programmer", then as such you should know better.

Yes, I do know. The only thing I do use is CCleaner (and occasionally the registry section of CCleaner).

Anyhow, the expression "OCD" carries the implication of pathologically unecessary, excessive and counterproductive "checking" and pointless overdoing of needless precautions.* It's something to be overcome and tamed, not something to be proud of or use as an explanation.

I don't actually have OCD, I was just using it to describe how I don't like the fact that there are errors even if it doesn't really effect anything. I had a friend who actually had it, so I do know what it is like. I know that those "errors" are determined by the software company that produces CCleaner, but the files in the MUICache stay even after the exe is removed from temp, thus making a bunch of invalid file entries in the registry. I know that may not bother some, but it does for me because I know that, that list will grow forever for no reason. And being a programmer, it makes me angry when I see design flaws that allow for an infinite buildup of information over time like that (not that it would do any harm, just use more space).
YouTube

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
I don't actually have OCD, I was just using it to describe how I don't like the fact that there are errors even if it doesn't really effect anything.
They aren't errors. They aren't issues, either.

but the files in the MUICache stay even after the exe is removed from temp, thus making a bunch of invalid file entries in the registry.  I know that may not bother some, but it does for me because I know that, that list will grow forever for no reason. And being a programmer, it makes me angry when I see design flaws that allow for an infinite buildup of information over time like that (not that it would do any harm, just use more space).

All of those traits are Obsessive. In any case, it's wrong- the data doesn't expand forever. I only have 244 entries, but I've definitely run far more than 244 applications in the last 4 years. Evidently there is some sort of clean-up logic that runs; perhaps at boot time, or maybe as part of ProcessIdleTasks(). Therefore if a cache entry is backing data that is no longer present one can logically surmise that the same cleanup logic would eventually purge those entries.

It also seems to top out at 500, at which point older entries seem to be purged. If anything is flawed here it is your inability to properly research something before forming both an opinion as well as coming to a conclusion about a "fix".

The idea of MUICache is to prevent disk hits as much as possible, because we could easily be talking about a tape backup or some other device whose access times are large. The problem with caches is when they have bad policies or when they get stale too easily; I see neither of these for MUICache, which definitely get's cleaned up by normal Operating System activity, and they don't get stale either unless you hack around with the executables they represent since as far as I can tell the information is updated if the registry key is older than the file it caches information for.

Anyway, the entry that Salmon trout links, the author says they don't know what MUICache stands for.

It stands for Multilingual User Interface, and is a cache designed to prevent disk access and processes required to extract locale-specific resources (typically icons and file descriptions). All you do by deleting entries there is make it take a few ms longer the next time you access those entries. Since entries that represent missing files will eventually be purged, you gain nothing.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
Since entries that represent missing files will eventually be purged, you gain nothing.

I thought it was never cleared. Thanks.

It also seems to top out at 500, at which point older entries seem to be purged.

How did you figure that out? Where does the 500 come from?
YouTube

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
How did you figure that out? Where does the 500 come from?

I made an application that copied itself, appended a number to the end of the executable, gave it a unique name and shelled the result, which repeated the process. (I of course added a pretty generic Version resource) The registry section filled up with some of the entries but it didn't go past 500 at any point. it seemed to start purging older entries (that is, really old ones that were from removable drives or temp folders and whatnot). My guess is that the logic will only purge entries that are a certain age, since most of the other entries remained, too.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:44 AM »
The idea of MUICache is to prevent disk hits as much as possible

Exactly. Raymond Chen pulled a handy set of information resources together here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/11/04/10085797.aspx

rotate

Greenhorn

• USA
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
    Does anyone know the purpose of this Thread?
    USA

rotate

Greenhorn

• USA
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:59 AM »
      The purpose of this thread is obvious from the title and the contents. Have you any contribution to make?

No Contribution by me.  Carry on Mate.
      USA

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »
      No Contribution by me.  Carry on Mate.

Could you possibly explain why you posted your question, and what useful purpose your posts in this thread have?

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      « Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »
      I don't know. I've used ccleaner for years too and it never causes any problems. I think they were more specifically referring to registry cleaners like reg mechanic or other similar tools that only scan the reg for errors and delete them and claim that it will magically "speed up".
      YouTube