Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: atapi and driverframeworks error, computer freeze/crash  (Read 11683 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
atapi and driverframeworks error, computer freeze/crash
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have tried searching for answers to this question but nothing has worked.
My specs
OS                    Windows 7 64-bit
Video card      GeForce GTX 660
Processor        AMD A10 5800K processor
Ram                 8GB
Motherboard   ASUS F2 A85-M PRO
Power supply  Raidmax RX-730SS

The issue:
My computer will freeze. All applications stop working simultaneously, and ctrl-alt-del does nothing. Mouse does not move. Keyboard does nothing. All devices (like my music player and phone) act as though they were unplugged.Waiting for the computer to recover does nothing, I have to do a hard reset by holding the power button or flicking the switch on the power supply.
I cannot seem to replicate the freezes but they occur about twice a day.

In the Event Log, I see many of the same error: Event ID 11, atapi, “The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.”
I also see Event ID 10110 (sometimes 10111), DriverFrameworks-UserMode “A problem has occured with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the device.” The atapi error will occur in huge batches, like 5-10 entries at once. The Frameworks error occurs only once. Both occur right before the crash.

What I have found
I did a google search and found this atapi points to a hard drive or CD-drive error, and not sure if it relates but I was having many hard drive errors before (two complete drive failures and two drives that just did not work) and I had to replace my motherboard. Link for that is here.

I am still able to access and use my drives. I ran a hard drive diagnostic and all hard drives (I have 2 internals and one external) came up good.
I can still read/write CDs fine.

I tried to find which drive as Port2, but in Device manager it says ATA Channel 0-7, but ATA Channel 2, in the drive properties, says Drive 0.

I saw on google to select “Use PIO Only” in driver properties, but I do not have that selection. The only checkbox in Driver Properties is “Enable DMA.” I have tried unchecking this box, but the hangs still occur.

I changed SATA cords for my HDs and CD drive but the error persists.   

As for the frameworks error, I seem to see it has to do with sleep/hibernation, both of which I have had disabled for quite some time. I double checked the settings, and Sleep and Hibernation are both still disabled. It may also relate to antivirus errors (as seen here) and what I run is Avira!. I installed and ran MalwareBytes when these errors occurred, in Safe Mode, but I had no viruses/malware.

The sites I have seen are this which tells about the atapi error and here and here which tells about the frameworks error.

tl;dr version
Computer crashes with atapi and driverframeworks error.
Atapi points to a drive, but I cannot isolate which drive or why.
Driverframeworks points to hibernation or sleep modes, both were disabled before this error even started, and both are still disabled now. May also relate to AV, which I use Avast! and ran Malwarebytes when this started, no viruses/malware.
Changed sata cords to fix atapi error, did not work.
Checked to make sure sleep and hibernation are disabled, and they are.

Thank you for any help.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: atapi and driverframeworks error, computer freeze/crash
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Download Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post

Download  BlueScreenView.exe file and run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and attach it to your next reply.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oJpBY3CNTWclkHzlxDySRfu This is the link it gave me in Speccy.

I have not had any bluescreens, so bluescreen view is empty, nothing to publish. It says "0 Crashes".

Thank you for the fast reply.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
Does anyone have any responses? I am still looking for any assistance with this issue. Still crashing/freezing everyday. Thank you so much.

If I can not figure this out by the weekend, I may try a full reinstall, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
Does it freezes randomly or any particular event?
.NET Frameworks installed
v4.0 Full
v4.0 Client
I think one of your errors comes from here as the Client version is what should be installed. Any particular reason you installed the Full version also? Might want to remove this one instead.
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 C ATA Device
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
vcddaemon.exe
Process ID:
User:
Lycoris
Domain:
Lycoris-PC
Path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDDaemon.exe
A Virtual clone drive or emulation software should also be the cause of your issue. See if there is a noticable difference after removing this from your system.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »
The freezes occur randomly.

I had a program that said it needed .NET 4.0 when I tried to run it (said it was not installed) so I guess that is why I installed the full. I will uninstall the Client version and see how that goes.
Seems I can't uninstall the Client instead of the Full, but when I uninstall the Full (called Extended Version in my Programs and Features) it shuts down my program I needed (NoSleepDrive). If I try to restart NoSleepDrive it says ".NET Framework 4.0 is needed to run this program" or something like that. But I have had this program for several months. I will try uninstalling NoSleepDrive and the .NET and see how that goes though.

As for my virtualization software, I need it for work. We often make/use disc images in our machine programming., I have had it for about two years, and have never had this issue. I will uninstall it for now to see if the crashes stop, but I will need it installed. :/
What I am using now is Virtual CloneDrive, is there another that would be better if this one really is the cause for some reason?

Thank you for your help.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
Okay! Now the fun really starts.

I uninstalled the virtualization software, and the extra .NET framework. I went ahead and uninstalled NoSleepDrive too. Everything was fine, until today. It froze on me 3 times, and when I go to look in the Event Viewer...NO ERRORS. Apparently nothing went wrong. But the computer was still completely frozen.

I replaced my keyboard and mouse (a friend of mine at work thinks maybe the wireless receiver is going bad, so it is not that the computer froze but just that the signals from the mouse/keyboard are not reaching it.)

I will let everyone knows how that works as soon as I know.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
I needed (NoSleepDrive)
Hi... I am not sure if this open source software is common or widely used and with good feedbacks but if it worked for you before, check out the direct source for any updated version or fixes. Upon searching for NoSleepHD v. 2.0 consequently, the last or final version was 2009. I think it would be proper to remove it also for your system to completely check for further improvements and monitor it again for a couple of days.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:32 AM »
I noticed that, Jason2074 and removed that software, but the freezes are still occurring, even with a new wireless receiver and keyboard and mouse. Thank you for the advice though.

I am really not sure what my next step would be, as the freezes occur with no errors of any type. :/

I booted into Safe Mode and it froze there too. I ran a Ubuntu live CD and it froze there too, so now I am running things like MemTest+ to see if it is my RAM. I only just built this machine, so if some piece of hardware went bad I can return it, but for some reason this build is giving me a lot of problems.

I apologize if I sound frustrated, I tried to reword the message, but failed. I am really grateful for all the help ^.^

freezyfreeze

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
    I read your post and was amazed to see you have the exact same problem as me. A few small differences, I have the A85-M CSM, and I have 16 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 freezes about twice a day. I hadn't tried Linux yet but I was about to. If it freezes there maybe it's a BIOS issue, or bad hardware.

It's definitely not the RAM, I've tested it over and over.
    It's not over heating, often these freezes happen while the system has been idle for hours.
    I've been pouring over the Event logs in Windows, and as much as I like to blame Microsoft for the pain in the world, it doesn't look like they are to blame here.

Dang.

freezyfreeze

Starter

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
      I just noticed on your speccy output that your BIOS is comparatively old. I JUST flashed mine so we'll see how it goes.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
      My BIOS is pretty old, but the last time I flashed by BIOS I bricked my computer, so I am trying to avoid that. That was about two years ago though, and I know more about computers now.

I am still having the freezing issue, even on Ubuntu and in Safe Mode. :/ At this point, I am pretty sure it is some type of hardware issue, but I can not seem to isolate what piece of hardware it is, as it does not generate an error message of any kind.

Update:

I already reinstalled Windows and now have a dual boot with Ubuntu (I had this about 6 months ago too, but I simply do not use Ubuntu often enough to justify the space usage, plus at the time my video card had no drivers for Ubuntu) and the freeze occurs in either system. I can not seem to replicate the freeze, but it is occurring frequently (about 2-3 times a day).

No error messages occur, no bluescreens in BlueScreenView or events in the Event Viewer.
      Ran FurMark, no problems. Ran MemTest+ for 6 hours, no errors. Traded in a higher wattage power supply, still froze. Watched the temps, and nothing gets overheated. Set all BIOS options to their defaults, I never overclocked any of my hardware, all my drivers have been brought up to date, and when that did not work, I rolled them back, still the same.

At the freeze, anything plugged into the computer acts as though it has been unplugged, and any sound (music or videos) stutters for about 2-3 seconds then turns off. The screen simply "freezes" on the current screen, no lines or anything.

It seems to crash when I walk away more often than when I am using it. But it has froze while I am using it.

Honestly, I am lost. I do not know what my next step should be, as I have no idea what is causing the problem.

I suppose I will try to flash my BIOS, hopefully that helps.

freezyfreeze

Starter

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
        Upgraded to the newest BIOS last night. Froze again this morning.

This is a real pain.

Slimjim307

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
          Wow its really good to hear the pains of other who have had this build. mine is

a10-5800k
          asus fm2a55-m
          ripjaw f-314900

so what happened? did yall send it back?

the very same thing you all describe is happening to me.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »
          Wow its really good to hear the pains of other who have had this build. mine is

a10-5800k
          asus fm2a55-m
          ripjaw f-314900

so what happened? did yall send it back?

the very same thing you all describe is happening to me.

I did not send anything back, unfortunately my computer is still freezing but not nearly as often (once in the last week).

Not sure about your issue, but mine seems to freeze when I leave something fullscreen, and then walk away (like youtube or VLC) but I still get no error messages or any indication of what is wrong. So I am just making sure to minimize/close things when I leave.

Good luck!