Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New SSD and OS won't boot without the old hard drive plugged in  (Read 5482 times)

Avalar

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    New SSD and OS won't boot without the old hard drive plugged in
    « on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »
    I got an SSD recently. Installed Windows 7 on it and installed all the applications I planned on using with it, and it works great! Trouble is, for some reason, I can't boot to it unless my old HDD is also enabled. The OS on my new SSD and the OS on my old drive might be the same version of Windows, but they're completely separate, so I don't know why this is happening. I even copied the System Reserved partition from my old drive to the SSD to see if that would make it start on its own, but that didn't work. What I wanna know is, why is the new drive dependent on the old one in order to boot up when it has all the necessary files to do so itself?

I mean, I did a clean install on the drive. It should be able to boot up on its own..  :-\

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New SSD and OS won't boot without the old hard drive plugged in
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:36:44 AM »
    This is why i never leave other HDD;s connected when installing an OS....

Disconnect the old HDD...boot to your install media and run a Repair Install.

That will put a bootsector on the new HDD where it belongs,
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
    ... erased what I said....  ;D   I was going to ask what port each drive was using for SATA ports such as if the SSD was using a SATA port 2 or higher in which it should be using SATA port 0, whereas it might be at SATA port 2 and using the HDD at SATA port 0 or 1 as a band aid for misconfigured SATA cables. Having doubts this is the case so I erased this, but sharing my thoughts anyway. Might be worth checking into this, however Patio is probably spot on with his help here.

Avalar

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
      Thanks for the reply you guys! :P I had actually gotten the answer in the chatroom while I was waiting.

The drive was neither marked as Active, nor did it have the boot files. Easy fix. :P

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
      Supposed to do that before the OS install...PS...Primary...and active.

Glad yer fixed up.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "