Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ChkDsk is continually cancelled on reboot  (Read 8708 times)

Jaitan

ChkDsk is continually cancelled on reboot
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »
Greetings ;

I am getting messages to run chkdsk as some yahoo messenger and a few other files are corrupted.

I run a chkdsk /c/r at the dos command and it tells me; the type file is NTFS , cannot lock current drive and its used by another process, would i like to check it on reboot.

I select yes.

When rebooting..it always cancels it saying again its NTFS ...

So I tried running chkdsk on safe mode.  same thing happens..reboot and again the chkdsk is cancelled.

I ran spybot and the avg spyware remover and removed a few items and tried again..same thing cannot lock drive and is cancelled on reboot.

I also let the powerdefrag utlity freeware program run and it seemed to defrag a lot..but..i still have those corrupted files that pop up the alert of them in my tray.

So, how do i run and repair the disk if it is always being cancelled at reboot and it wont let me otherwise due to something running and it cannt lock the drive?

(I am using win xp home ed. on a HP celeron laptop and do not have any windows cds, with win service pack 1)

(Also, checking under "disk management" the partition is listed as NTFS and not FAT....and (Healthy) is shown.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:11:28 PM by Jaitan »

Jaitan

Re: ChkDsk is continually cancelled on reboot
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:46:41 AM »
no one?

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:04:38 AM »
easy there...... someone will help you soon enough ...... sometimes its best to leave your thread here for a few hours and come back and check later.... im going to have a read myself ...... see if i can help you out ....... just be painent ...

Tony :)

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
    Can you give some more details on what happen when you reboot and chkdsk is supposed to run? Does it give any reason for the check being canceled?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:11:17 PM »
    Have you tried running it in safemode ? ?
    To enter safemode tap F8 repeatedly while the machine is starting and before you see the Windows logo...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jaitan

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »
    Its just been a few days and wondered if it was lost in the shuffle is all..This is a free help site and I am appreciative of any help or attempts to that.

I have  run it in safe mode..but on chkdskit  still says it cannot lock current volume and needs to reboot to do it.

Upon reboot, it says check disk cancelled, windows has finished checking the disk...

The only thing it refers to is the file being NTFS.

I tried going into the bootexecute and changing it on the right to
    autocheck autochk * but it always reverts back to
    autocheck autochk /k:C*

I have done:
    chkntfs /d
    chkntfs /c C:
    fsutil dirty query c:  it says its dirty
    chkntfs /x c:

then i rebooted...
    then I:
    chkdsk /f /r c: and selected yes
    and ...no running of chkdsk....

Seems regardless what I do...it cancels on reboot.

Thanks
    Jaitan
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:24:27 PM by Jaitan »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »
    ChkNTFS will only check the integrity of the NTFS file table...it is not chkdsk.
    Do you have it setup to run chkntfs at startup ? ? If so it is probably banging heads with chkdsk...
    You may just have to pull that drive hook it up as a slave on a known working machine and run chkdsk from there...

Jaitan

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:32:32 PM »
    How do I check to see if i have it checking Ntfs on startup and if it is..can I select it to not do that and if so how?...without having to pull the drive?
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:42:45 PM by Jaitan »

Jaitan

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »
    Ok this is interesting...i ran a chkdsk /c C: and got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>chkdsk /c C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING!  C parameter specified.
    Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 53431.
    File verification completed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »
    If you're running any type of disk utility e.g. partition magic, Norton ghost, virus scanners, etc. or you do NOT have admin rights chkdsk cannot be ran because it does not have full access to the hard disk drive. Booting into safe mode as you mentioned you did should get rid of most third-party apps. However, if you've used any type of partition utility such as partition magic you cannot run chkdsk.

Additionally if any type of dual booting (booting with multiple operating systems) is being done on the computer this too can cause this issue.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Jaitan

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »
    When i arrived in Malaysia i had to re-install windows at a pc tech shop.  I dont think he partitioned it or any is running but i dont know for certain.

The only antivirus thing i am using is cyberhawk ..but i dont think it runs untill the pc is fully booted and even then..i un installed it b4 to make sure...

I even unplugged my laptop cooling stand from the usb...

I cant think of any other apps...as i keep things fairly simple on this as its an older laptop.

Jaitan

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
    When disk problems occur that require chkdsk repairing is that part of the disk or the program itself.  If I were to backup my hard drive onto another new disk..would the probelm be transfered into the new disk?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »
    The problem may or may not be transfered (most likely not transfered). If the problem you're experiencing is some type of virus or other malware if you transfer all the data from one drive to another it would transfer that virus or other malware as well.

However, based off your description I'm assuming the problem you're encountering is either a hardware related issue or software configuration issue. If it's a hardware issue (e.g bad hard drive) the problem would not transfer to the new hard drive, some corrupt files may be transfered though. If it's a configuration issue, depending on what type of configuration issue it is it may or may not be transferred over.

If you're planning on backing up and restoring I'd simply suggest backing up personal data: e-mail, bookmarks, documents, etc. and not ALL the data on the hard drive.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »
    I'm not sure why you are running it with these obscure switches.../C skips sectors that have been flagged. The other switches do a deep scan but take no corrective action.

The one you should be trying is chkdsk /r...

Jaitan

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 05:16:16 AM »
    Ok thanks to admin and Patio..i will try chkdsk /r and also the backup advice...