Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS-Hardware monitor???  (Read 6408 times)

Redeyes_Gambit

BIOS-Hardware monitor???
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »
Im getting ready to flash my BIOS and I notice that on the ASUS site it has two versions of the BIOS update, one with hardware monitor and one without.

First of all what is hardware monitor?
2. is it optional?
3. If it is optional is better to have hardware monitor or no hardware monitor?

merlin_2

Re: BIOS-Hardware monitor???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:57:50 PM »
Why are you flashing the bios......

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:06:53 PM »
HDD not fully "recognerized". its a 40 gig and it only sees 32.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 05:10:07 PM »
reformat it...and fdisk it...it may have files still  left on it.....

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:40:33 PM »
Not the problem, this is the second format that I have done to it (First time it was setting it up as a slave, second time it was setting it up as the master). I know for a fact that my BIOS doesnt currently support 40 gigs  cause it says so on the ASUS site  :( .

Cary_GRant

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 04:23:53 AM »
Do you have a Pentium II? The hardware monitor is nothing more than what is states, a little program that runs and monitors certain states of your motherboard (fan speed, temp, etc.) What version of windows are you installing, 98, ME? Write zeroes to the HDD if all else fails in the reformat, it could be that there may be a partition there you missed. Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 04:26:29 AM by Cary_GRant »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 08:20:46 AM »
Im using win 98SE currently and I want those extra 8 gigs so I can dual boot with linux fedora. My specs are:

PII 350 mghz (slow I know but it gets stuff done better than my 300 mghz :D lol) 128 ram, an agp 2x SIS graphics card (can get more specs if needed), a creative ISA sound card a 40x acer cdrom drive and the 1 40 (32 seen) gig HDD. I could go into more detail but Im feelin lazy lol.

I doubt I missed a partition, I usualy check to see what partitions there are before deleting any, and my BIOS wont even see the HDD unless I set the jumpers on it to 32 gig clip (BIOS just hangs at IDE HDD auto detect).

Oh, another question, can I format those extra 8 gigs as a seperate partition without harming my current partition? Like I said I want to dual-boot fedora and win98se but I REALY dont want to have to reformat my HDD AGAIN, I did that less than a month ago :P .

So the hardware monitor is optional? Does it run in windows or is it just in BIOS?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:26:56 AM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:07:58 AM »
     The  hardware monitor is a windows program//it may also be called windows resources......you need partition manager to load lynx....partiton magic is one of many.....