Removing the shadows under the text on Windows XP desktop icons?
Windows XP desktop icons labels have a drop shadow effect, which can help improve the overall visibility of an icon. Unfortunately, like the example image shown to the right, when the Desktop is the same color as the icon text it makes it extremely difficult to read. In addition some wall paper pictures do not work well with text with shadows. Below are the steps required for disabling this feature in Windows XP.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Double-click on the System icon.
- In the System Properties window click the Advanced tab.
- In Advanced click the Settings button under the Performance section.
- In the Performance Options window scroll down to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and uncheck the option and click Ok.
- Once completed you should no longer have the drop shadow.
Alternatively, you can use a third-party text manipulating program to adjust the icon text color, shadows, and other settings.