Windows cannot read from source file or disk error
Windows cannot read from source file or disk error.
This error is often caused when the file attempting to be deleted is in use by another program, or has been created using a character that Windows does not recognize.
This error message occurs when the folder or files within the folder are locked because of Windows or another program running in Windows. To successfully delete this file, try following the below steps.
- Wait a minute and try deleting the file again, sometimes Windows or the program using the file may still be closing and therefore still using the file you're attempting to delete.
- Close and Explorer window and re-open.
- Locate the program using the file and close it. If you're uncertain what program is using the file, close all programs until you're able to delete the file.
- Try using unlocker, a free software program designed to unlock any file being used by Windows or other programs without restarting the computer.
- Reboot the computer. If after closing all programs you're still unable to delete the file, it's likely that something in the background is still using the file.
- If after rebooting the computer you're still unable to delete the file, boot the computer into Safe Mode and delete the file.