How do I password protect a PDF file?
When sending any sensitive data through e-mail, including PDF files, make sure to password protect or encrypt that information. Although this can be done in Adobe Acrobat, below are steps on how to create a password protected PDF that prompts for a password without having to purchase a program.
- Download and install PrimoPDF, a free PDF creator.
- Open the document or picture you want to create password protected PDF for.
- Print the file. In the print wizard change the printer name from your printer to "PrimoPDF" and click Ok to start the PDF creation process.
- In PrimoPDF as shown in the picture below, select the quality of file, we suggest either "Print" or "Prepress" and then click the Change button for PDF Security.
- In the Password Security window check the box for "Require a password to open the document" and enter the password you want to use and click Ok.
- Finally, click the Create PDF button to create the password protected PDF.