Name: William H. Gates
Born: October 28, 1955 in Seattle, Washington, USA
Computer related contributions
- Co-Founder and early CEO of the Microsoft company.
- Developed Altair BASIC for the MITS Altair.
- Helped in the development of Microsoft's earlier programs such as MS-DOS.
- The Road Ahead
- Business @ the Speed of Thought
Honors and awards
- Youngest self-made billionaire.
- Honored as the 12th Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society.
- Made honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) by Queen Elizabeth II in 2005.
- Bill and his wife were awarded the Order of the Aztec Eagle for their philanthropic work in 2006.
- Time magazine named Bill Gates one of the most 100 people who influenced the 20th century and one of the 100th most influential people of 2004, 2005, and 2006.
- Awarded the 2010 Bower Award for Business Leadership of The Franklin Institute.
- Honored with the Silver Buffalo Award by the Boy Scouts of America.
"It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure."
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
"If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG."
Related computer pioneers