Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I've been Con'ed!!!  (Read 3042 times)

xCharlie

Topic Starter

I've been Con'ed!!!
    « on: February 13, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
    Well today my brother comes to me and tells me about his problem with his new laptop... i found out he recently had it serviced ( i dont know why because i usually solve most computer problems)

He tell's me he had a hard drive replaced and files relocated... but upon inspection, (i was curious), i find that the hardrive appears to be the manufactures default one...(unlike the seagate one the reciept claims it to be...

Anyone know if windows keeps a list of files that tell you when drivers are updated etc...

and do hardrives carry specific serials that bind themselves to the laptop themselves?

anyone able to shed light on this mystery?

xCharlie

Topic Starter

Re: I've been Con'ed!!!
      « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
      i have also noticed.. the files are dated back before the hardrive was "changed"... all signs point to the same hardrive.. which must of fell out.. and all he did was put it back in.. and charged for a new hardrive

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
      1) There's no reason he could not have gotten the exact same model drive.
      2) The file dates would not change if the drive was cloned
      3) Bind themselves to the laptop? I don't understand that.

Hankster58

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
        Allan..... #3.. I think he means like a cars VIN or something.. any way to tell from the HD's # if it was OEM or a "replacement".... Like dating a rifle by it's serial number???? I'd be willing to guess no.. but some you guys know more so........

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
        A good practice is to return defective parts to the owner. Except when the old item has some "recycle" value. The fact that they kept the drive is very speciousness. Contact your local district attorney. Do not confront the repair shop, unless the DA tells you to do that.    >:(
        You should go to the manufacturers web site and see if you can find specific details about that model. With a serial number you may find what the machine had originally.