Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comodo fail  (Read 6311 times)

Mulreay

Comodo fail
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Ok I will try to add as much info on this as I can.

So I downloaded 'Comodo' http://www.comodo.com/products/comodo-products.php
Installed and ran the programme, at first I thought I was just encrypting my J: drive (external) but it seems it had a small effect on my C: internal (just an extra password on boot which I have disabled.
Half way through the encryption it failed and created a Bsod. Then restarted and everything seemed ok. But unfortunately my external drive was unusable without a format. So tried to gain access with no joy and ended up formatting it. That's when all the issues started. I downloaded 'recuva' http://www.filehippo.com/download_re...652d768f86289/ after a recommendation and as it's from Piriform (CCleaner) thought things would be fine. So I tried at first to recover the external, on a quick scan it found nothing but not surprising as I formatted. So I tried 'deep scan' which says it can recover formatted data. But everytime I tried it would Bsod again??

So I decided to recover data from the internal on to the external as all my stuff I lost (movies, photo's etc) was originally from there. This as you can imagine brought up a LOT of stuff.. over 80,000 files. So I sifted through all this stuff and managed to recover some bit's and bobs but no where near what I lost. But anyway I moved all the stuff I wanted onto my internal drive and then re-formatted the external to save me having to manually delete all that data.
Problem is now if I plug in the external and try to do anything other than look at the screen it will crash Win Exp and I have to restart Win Exp (not the end of the world). I tried multiple ways to access the drive (add files) and everytime it will crash.
This presents me with somewhat of a dilemma as I need to backup to that drive from the internal so I can attempt a re-install of Windows Vista32. Reasons being that Windows has become quite unstable on start up and also Comodo will not allow me to uninstall it as it says one or more of my drives is still encrypted even though they all show up in the menu as not encrypted.

This has turned into a nightmare and would really appreciate some help.
As always thanks in advance for your input and hopefully we can get this resolved.

EDIT: Windows Vista32 SP2 Premium Home, Ext HDD 320gb SATA within an enclosure (USB).

Well just as an update.. I can now no longer open comodo as it stops responding. And it cannot be removed with add/remove as it still comes back with drive encrypted.
Really at the end of my tether with this.

Ok downloaded Revo and took things one step at a time. Tried doing a normal uninstall but as you probably will already know it attempts to use the in-bedded uninstaller and this came back with the usual... Decrypt first. So I tried a forced uninstall (moderate) which brought up files so I removed them but this was not enough as Comodo files were still present after a restart.
I then tried a forced uninstall (advanced) which brought up all the registry keys etc. So after removing everything I tried to run Comodo (just to check) the system could not find it.. good. Then restarted and tried to utilize my drives (move programs around etc. Windows Explorer continued to hang whilst moving files from the internal to the external drive.

I managed to move two large files over for backup.. namely my website stuff, Dangerbot and mIRC but then as I tried to move Gmod (Garrys Mod, game) over everything hung and when Win Exp tried to restart it just hung there. (about my 5th full restart of the laptop).
I then tried to reinstall Comodo from it's current state but only the repair option was there, leading me to believe that elements still exist that cannot be removed unless you uninstall with Comodo.
So I repaired to see if anything had changed... back to square one. Comodo just hangs when I try to start it...

Really at a loss here guys. Any help appreciated.. still.

I'm copying these responses from another site... any help appreciated.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Comodo fail
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
Your situation/post is a confusing, IMO.  My general impression: you have a mess and may need to format and reinstall Windows.  Hope you can backup some important stuff to CD/DVD since you apparently can not backup to your external hard drive now. 

I couldn't quite get the gist of your encrypting and de-encrypting procedures.

I hope someone else can give advice that will allow you to avoid a format and reinstall Windows, at least until you can save important files you want to keep.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
I was unaware that Comodo does an encryption or are these 2 different issues ? ?
As Soybean stated...i'm confused.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:29 AM »
Hi chaps sorry for the delayed reply.. been trying backups etc.

The product is here http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/disk-encryption.php

Can you tell me which bits are confusing and I will try to explain in greater detail.

Thanks for the help

ozalbundy

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »
    OK lets take this 1 step at a time and really slowly ( as i read slowly) ;D
    In the begining you mentioned the"BSOD",,,,,,,What did this screen have on it?
    if you can recreate it write down the vitals of the screen, mainly numbers as these will point you to the area causing the problem.

eg,:-  800xxxxxxx0000f error 345,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is just an example of what you may see.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
    It's ok I have worked out the reasons for the Bsod's.
    One of my four USB ports is a little dodgy, it was causing a break in connection for the external drive hence the Bsod. Switched to a different one and all seems to be working smoothly.
    Still can't access Comodo though, but I'm thinking I will just have to live with that and leave on there. Deleted the shortcuts to it so it won't get messed with.
    Not ideal but with the prospect of doing a full re-install of Vista I will stick with what I have.
    Thanks for the help though guy's.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
    So the new Comodo creates an image file of your machine ? ?
    And it does an encryption of the drive in the process ? ?

Guess i won't be installing that app anytime soon.

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
    So the new Comodo creates an image file of your machine ? ?
    And it does an encryption of the drive in the process ? ?

Guess i won't be installing that app anytime soon.

Yeah after chatting with a few people it's looking that way.. it's caused a real mess of things. I have it back to a semblance of order so just leaving it as is.
    Just managed to backup over 30gb of important files and have more that needs to be done.. maybe I will attempt the re-install of Vista from the partition but I can just see that causing more problems.

All in all I will not be recommending Comodo encryption to anyone who I like..  :o   beware all those I don't  ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »
    Have Glitch test it and see how it goes.... ;D ;D ;D

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
    Have Glitch test it and see how it goes.... ;D ;D ;D

Heh  ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
    Tell him i said hey.... ;)

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »
    Tell him i said hey.... ;)

Will do..
    just on another note I tried a 'backup' and it BSOD again..  >:( >:(

BC_programming has told me to disable the 'auto-restart- so will try and catch the message next time.. I have the .dmp files but there useless unless you know what your doing.
    Will just keep plodding along.. I may just backup files one by one as that seems to work.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »
    Sigh...
    What a nightmare.
    Sorry there's no easy fix...

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
    Sigh...
    What a nightmare.
    Sorry there's no easy fix...

Yeah there would be no.. (learning curve).. it just sorted itself out.. Just trying to work out how to backup my itunes music.. then I'm going headfirst into a full re-install.

Any advise on the best way to do this much appreciated.. obviuously I hope that my Vista updates stay included.. cant re-install all them I think.

Any quick advice greatfully appreciated

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »
    obviuously I hope that my Vista updates stay included..
    They won't.  How could they?  You'd need to slipstream your OS and updates to CD/DVD to accomplish that.

.. cant re-install all them I think.
    Why not?  Actualy, if you're thinking the total number of updates would be the sum of all updates you've ever obtained with your current OS, I believe the number of updates may be less than that because you'd be doing major updating all at once and that may eliminate the need for some past individual updates which may later have been superseded by a later update.  I may be wrong on this; it's just my theory.  Anyway, I don't think you have any choice in the matter.  Of course, if you need an entire Service Pack after reinstalling your OS, they can be downloaded separately, altough I'm not sure whether that would be any better than letting a Service Pack get installed via Windows Updates.