Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE doesnt ask to save password  (Read 39900 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IE doesnt ask to save password
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »
Doesn't the fact that many  of your posts have been questioned by a number of members give you a hint? Wanting to join a forum like this and help is great, and you're to be commended for it. But when the advice you give is questionable you need to expect to be challenged. Don't be defensive, instead try to learn from it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:23:26 PM by Allan »

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
    Broni thanks for those posts, I checked the registry entries and they are set to yes.

Azzaboi, I followed your post and deleted all the sites I was having trouble with as per your instructions. Closed it all down and restarted the computer (just as a matter of course) and restarted the computer.

That seems to have cured the password save problem with them. (so far at least).
    I dont use IE hardly at all and dont remember having gone to other sites with it, so it was an incredibly short list.
    I tested if IE was going to behave for me, by going to some other sites that need password entries, then closed and opened them again.

Success. ;D

My biggest problem has been that I dont know anything of IE at all.

Imtired now I will thank the others tommorrow, when I can get my head around what they are saying.
     Thanks ImnoGuru
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »
    ImnoGuru: Glad I was wrong and Azzaboi and soybean were correct and your problem appears to be solved.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
      Allan thank you too, I see what you are saying here.

No. The OP says IE will not save passwords on ANY site, not just one.

In my case, to me, that was any site. I hadnt ventured past say a dozen different sites, (all ones I had been to before). Like I said it was a short list. IE just lacks some of the benefits and features that firefox seems to have as standard and I found F/F more usable  (for me).

Broni's suggestion ensured the settings were correct to continue, while the instructions Azzaboi gave me, did the job, others of his instructions would have deleted ALL the passwords in all browsers, the 3rd option given. (from what I could make of it, like soybean said).

Right, and Azzaboi's procedure would affect/reset IE's behavior with all websites, not just one.

I would die if that were to happen. I have back ups of all these things both on the computer and as a written document external of the computer. ( do you remember that thing called paper and pen. Yep that.) I wrote it down.

So far it all seems to be saving the passwords Ok.

Thank you all for your assistance.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
      the instructions Azzaboi gave me, did the job, others of his instructions would have deleted ALL the passwords in all browsers, the 3rd option given.
      No, his instructions pertained only to IE; they would affect IE's behavior for all websites, but would have no effect on Firefox or any other browser. 

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:02 AM »
        Wow thanks soybean, that was my biggest worry... whether doing that would have affected F/Fox passwords as well. That's the main reason I didn't pursue that, past option 1.

I was actually going to set up an old computer to test just that and see what the result was. (Heaven knows I have enough old computers lying around) I don't even think they would sell on Ebay.

Well that puts my mind to rest.
        Thanks again for the heads up soybean.