Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No share tab for hard drive  (Read 11905 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
No share tab for hard drive
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »
Hi Can someone assist with a fix for missing sharing and security tab when right clicking either of my 2 hard drives. I have several xp machines and this is the only one with missing sharing tab. The share and security tab is visible on folders in both drives but not the drives. Its an xpsp3 machine with 2 500gb sata drives. There is no share tab for the optical drives either, but im not concerned with this. I am logged on as administrator, and I can network using net share, but im curious as to the reason for the loss of the share tabs. Any ideas???javascript:replaceText('%20???',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

EEVIAC

Re: No share tab for hard drive
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
Have you unchecked the "use simple file sharing" option in Control Panel/Folder Options?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
Sharing the whole drive is not a good idea.
But he real administrator can do it. The real administrator is the one whose name is administrator. You see him when you boot in safe mode.

However, as the other post said, your options may have been set up differently.

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
Have you unchecked the "use simple file sharing" option in Control Panel/Folder Options?

Hi, There is no option to check uncheck simple file sharing, its win xp home, wish it was so easy? thanks

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »
Sharing the whole drive is not a good idea.
But he real administrator can do it. The real administrator is the one whose name is administrator. You see him when you boot in safe mode.

However, as the other post said, your options may have been set up differently.
hi, in normal mode there is only one a/c me and its administrator, no guest a/cs no nothing. in safe mode it shows my a/c and a separate one for administrator. there is no one on my network who will cause problems if the drives are shared. as i said i can share the drives with net use, but id really like my sharing an security menu option back? thanks

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:45 PM »
For starters, Windows XP Home Edition does not come with NTFS permissions and the security tab is a feature of NTFS permissions so you cannot assign permissions to drives... Why you are getting a security tab on folders within the drive, I don't know.. perhaps someone else could help..

In the mean time, you should at least be able to share the drives..
Make sure the file and folder sharing is enabled in the network adapter's properties..  Control Panel>Network Connections>right-click on your network adapter and select "properties"  On the general tab, make sure you see "file and folder sharing" in the Windows and that there is a check in the box next to it..

If it is not there, you'll have to install the "file and folder sharing" protocol..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Simple-File-Sharing-in-Windows-XP-Home-Edition

For starters, Windows XP Home Edition does not come with NTFS permissions

Not 100% accurate- Windows XP Home's implementation of NTFS is 100% accurate; for example, you can see encrypted and compressed files that have already been stored on a disk- you cannot access the encrypted files, but I believe you can access the compressed files. And the permissions are 100% intact, as well- the GUI interface is crippled is all.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
ahh, illumination  :)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
For starters, Windows XP Home Edition does not come with NTFS permissions and the security tab is a feature of NTFS permissions so you cannot assign permissions to drives... Why you are getting a security tab on folders within the drive, I don't know.. perhaps someone else could help..

In the mean time, you should at least be able to share the drives..
Make sure the file and folder sharing is enabled in the network adapter's properties..  Control Panel>Network Connections>right-click on your network adapter and select "properties"  On the general tab, make sure you see "file and folder sharing" in the Windows and that there is a check in the box next to it..

If it is not there, you'll have to install the "file and folder sharing" protocol..

Hi, File and folder sharing is indeed enabled.
What I can tell you is my 3 other win xp machines all have on option to share a drive when right clicking the drive, this machine used to have that feature as well but has now changed. No new accounts have been created. I can share the drive with "net" but just wondering how to get my sharing and security option tab back???
Thanks

EEVIAC

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
hm. this is a tricky one. 

Go back into your adapter properties, highlight the "file and folder sharing" and click on "uninstall". 

After it uninstalls, click on, "install", highlight the "services" option to install a service, and select "file and folder sharing for windows".  This will reinstall it.. Restart the computer and see if you have a sharing tab on your drives..

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »
hm. this is a tricky one. 

Go back into your adapter properties, highlight the "file and folder sharing" and click on "uninstall". 

After it uninstalls, click on, "install", highlight the "services" option to install a service, and select "file and folder sharing for windows".  This will reinstall it.. Restart the computer and see if you have a sharing tab on your drives..

Hi, I may have misled you in a previous post, when I said "file and folder sharing" the item that is ticked is "File and printer sharing for microsoft networks" Is this the same thing???? I have just updated the driver for my onboard lan connection and uninstalled and reinstalled file and printer sharing for microsoft networks. Are we speaking about the same thing?

Unfortunately the only change is my network connections from the problem machine are gone, ill fix it with net share, but there is still no sharing and security tab?
Thanks

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
    This is probably a permissions issue. Although you say your account is an "admin" it is just a member of the admin group not the "admin" account. You proved this by saying when you boot to safe mode there is your account & the admin account. Log in as the admin account and try sharing the drive. If you don't have the password to the admin account or you don't know how to log in with it do the following:

At the log in screen press ctrl+alt+del twice. This will get you the classic log in screen. Type "administrator" for the user name and leave the password blank and press enter.
    If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »
    This is probably a permissions issue. Although you say your account is an "admin" it is just a member of the admin group not the "admin" account. You proved this by saying when you boot to safe mode there is your account & the admin account. Log in as the admin account and try sharing the drive. If you don't have the password to the admin account or you don't know how to log in with it do the following:

At the log in screen press ctrl+alt+del twice. This will get you the classic log in screen. Type "administrator" for the user name and leave the password blank and press enter.

If i log on in safe mode as administrator, or my account its the same result. ie right click drives in my comp there is no menu item for sharing and security. I did download and install a file that allowed me to get the security tab back in properties where I can view permissions, but I didnt want to play changing things. I did consider changing permissions to everyone for all users, but was advised its dangerous to. The machine has a software firewall as well as a router, and the only people who will have access to it are trusted.

Thanks   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:39 AM »
    don't know if this will help:

IT might be that the sharing tab is simply not enabled properly as an extension.

download ShExView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe

Install and Run it.

Once it loads, look for an item titled "Shell Extensions For Sharing"

If it's Disabled- Enable it.

If it is already enabled, Right click, and select "properties" (Not "File Properties"). the third item from the bottom, titled "File Extensions" should read "Directory, Drive"

In this case, it sounds like yours might only read Directory.

If it does only say "Directory"- try this:

Open Notepad and paste the following:

Code: [Select]
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
    @="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6}"

Select File-Save and choose File Type "All Files(*.*)" and save it as a .REG file- for example, "sharedrive.reg"

Locate the file on your desktop or in an explorer window and double-click to merge the contents.

IF you still cannot see the sharing tab for drives, try rebooting.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
    don't know if this will help:

IT might be that the sharing tab is simply not enabled properly as an extension.

download ShExView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe

Install and Run it.

Once it loads, look for an item titled "Shell Extensions For Sharing"

If it's Disabled- Enable it.

If it is already enabled, Right click, and select "properties" (Not "File Properties"). the third item from the bottom, titled "File Extensions" should read "Directory, Drive"

In this case, it sounds like yours might only read Directory.

If it does only say "Directory"- try this:

Open Notepad and paste the following:

Code: [Select]
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
    @="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6}"

Select File-Save and choose File Type "All Files(*.*)" and save it as a .REG file- for example, "sharedrive.reg"

Locate the file on your desktop or in an explorer window and double-click to merge the contents.

IF you still cannot see the sharing tab for drives, try rebooting.

Hi, Thank you so much, I installed shellexview and as you suggested in properties/shell extension for sharing, it listed as directory, as well as not disabled. I copied the reg entry, rebooted and HEY in drive properties I now have a tab for sharing that works. It is very pleasing to receive advice from someone who knows the fix. No complaints but does it matter if I now have 2 shell extensions for sharing in shellexview?
    They both point to the same file of the same size and date, and both list directory only?

What a nice piece of kit (shellexview)

Many many thanks for your concise response
    « Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:56:41 PM by licoriceallsorts »