Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can one pagefile used by two OperatingSystems  (Read 4892 times)

ajit_kondapalli

can one pagefile used by two OperatingSystems
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »
Hello, Everyone nice meeting U all................................

help me this is my first Question in "computerhope"

can one pagefile.sys used by two OperatingSystems

i have two operating systems "windows xp" & "windows 7".

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: can one pagefile used by two OperatingSystems
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »
No

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
Since you cannot have Xp and Windows 7 running natively at the same time, you can designate each OS to use a swap file on the same partition, and if each OS set its pagefile min and max sizes accordingly, they would both create page files of the same name and size but they would not be the "same file". I expect it would be best to have each OS delete its pagefile on exit.

Allan

• Mastermind

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
you can designate each OS to use a swap file on the same partition
Allan, why would this not work?  It seems logical.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
Allan, what's with the self-quoted "No"? I really hate being contradicted so flatly. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. On dual-boot or multi-boot system running multiple instances of Windows operating systems on different hard disk drives (partition or volume), by default there will be multiple instances of pagefile.sys created. In order to avoid wastage of disk space , it is definitely possible for the multiple OSs to all use the same location for their paging file. But not simultaneously. (Obviously.) I suppose, since the content will change depending on which OS is running, and since a paging file dies when its OS shuts down, it might be more rational to speak of them as different files with the same name and location.

Method: boot each OS in turn, go to system properties, and in the virtual memory settings, deselect “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” and manipulate the page file options so that only the required common page file partition contains a page file, and set minimum and maximum page file size appropriately.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:34:41 PM by Salmon Trout »

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
Because the pagefile is unique to each OS. They cannot share the same virtual memory, but they can both create pagefiles on the same drive.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
Allan, have a little think about what virtual memory is, and what happens when an OS uses a page file.

Because the pagefile is unique to each OS.

Only while the OS is running.

They cannot share the same virtual memory, but they can both create pagefiles on the same drive.

Since multiple OSs cannot have simultaneous control of the same computer the question would never arise. In a dual boot system, a newly booted system will happily use a page file created by a sister OS previously. As I thought was obvious.

Page files are only used while an OS is running. They don't persist over reboots, like hibernation memory dump files do. An OS can happily delete its page file on shutdown.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
Only while the OS is running.

Since multiple OSs cannot have simultaneous control of the same computer the question would never arise. In a dual boot system, a newly booted system will happily use a page file created by a sister OS previously. As I thought was obvious.

Page files are only used while an OS is running. They don't persist over reboots, like hibernation memory dump files do. An OS can happily delete its page file on shutdown.

You know, if I was sober right now I probably wouldn't have even responded to this thread. Of course you're right ST - it's a non-issue. But since the pagefile is recreated on each boot by the OS it's DOUBLY a non-issue :)