Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What is your favorite Linux distro?

Ubuntu
2 (33.3%)
Fedora
0 (0%)
OpenSUSE
0 (0%)
Debian
1 (16.7%)
Mandriva
0 (0%)
Linux Mint
2 (33.3%)
PCLinuxOS
0 (0%)
Slackware
0 (0%)
Gentoo
0 (0%)
Cent OS
0 (0%)
Mepis
0 (0%)
Xandros
0 (0%)
Other (Specify below)
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Favorite Linux Distro  (Read 12606 times)

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Favorite Linux Distro
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
Pretty straight forward. My vote goes to Ubuntu.  8)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Favorite Linux Distro
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
Rather than voting for my favorite...
I put in a vote for Mepis
Why? Because sit is the best and stands abouve the rest.
http://www.mepis.org/
If you don't  know about it, try it and see!
It is an eloquent work of both art and science.

But, as for me, I too often don't' go with the best. That's just me!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:16:14 AM »
I can't vote, since I haven't tried most of them.  I use Ubuntu, and I've looked a Kubuntu, which has more of the look and feel of Windows than Ubuntu.  I'd like to look at some other Linux Distros but may not get around to that for awhile.

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
It doesn't matter if you haven't tried a whole bunch. Then just vote for your favorite from what you have tried.

I've only tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu (which I hate), Mandriva and Debian with no destop environment..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
Ubuntu, XUbuntu, Fedora, Slackware, and Mint.

I've not used any of them for anything useful and really cannot think of a useful task I could perform with any of them. They simply don't fit my usage patterns. I find it odd that I already knew most of the more helpful basic linux commands, probably from reading, heh.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »
I've not used any of them for anything useful and really cannot think of a useful task I could perform with any of them.
Really, not one useful task?  What about web browsing, email, PDF viewing, OpenOffice apps (word processor, spreadsheet, database, slide presentation), media/video playing, music playing, photo editing, basic HTML editing, etc.?  All these tasks can be done immediately with a new installation of Ubuntu, and probably most of the other Linux distros.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
It doesn't matter if you haven't tried a whole bunch. Then just vote for your favorite from what you have tried.
So, if someone has only tried one, that would be their favorite, right?  How meaningful is their vote in a poll? ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:06:44 PM by soybean »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:12 PM »
Really, not one useful task?  What about web browsing, email, PDF viewing, OpenOffice apps (word processor, spreadsheet, database, slide presentation), media/video playing, music playing, photo editing, basic HTML editing, etc.?  All these tasks can be done immediately with a new installation of Ubuntu, and probably most of the other Linux distros.

I hardly consider any of those productive to what I do.

I have office installed, but only for <reading> word documents. Actually I've had this copy of Office 2003 for ages and I can't recall a single time when it actually was worth the cost. This drives home another important point, which is more against windows then Linux (on account of cost associations) many people forget that Microsoft Word is not, strictly speaking, for personal use. It was designed for <professional> documents. I've seen people make silly little memos and notices and "lost pet" type stuff in word, and honestly that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Wordpad would suite the purposes of most people but they have been conditioned to believe that somehow they need Word for all word processing, and then they go on and on about how they will do their budgets in Excel and then you go to use it on their PC and find it's hasn't even been installed since they haven't used it. Is that cost effective?

<productive> in my context, for my purposes, has to do with the creation of Win32 programs and ActiveX components that I use in those programs. I believe I'm in a *censored* of a better position to judge what is and is not "productive" and what my purposes are then anybody else. I realize that Linux, to the average person, has everything they need, but forgive my conceit but I'm <not> the average person- that is why I specifically qualified my statement with multiple instances of the "I". If I had said anybody, or something along those lines, then your response would be perfectly justified, but as I said, I really don't see how a third party can dictate what is and is not productive or useful to me.

Just because Linux has the applications installed by default doesn't necessarily make it any better. Slackware has a full DVD of crap on it but that doesn't really make the OS any better. Any Operating system can do stuff like basic HTML editing out of the box, am I to judge an operating system based on the quality of the built in applets?

people say the windows utilities suck. Well, consider for a moment that, at least for the most part, they have to. If a product included with the operating System serves the same function as, say, (completely random, I swear (heh)) Netscape Navigator, let's say, Internet Explorer, they might incite claims of anti-competitiveness and abusing their position. So it's no wonder that notepad still sucks. there are commercial products (as well as free ones) that suit this purpose but if MS were to create something that was genuinely useful in the same way as those applications they would be attracting a lot of attention to themselves. They learned to stop providing people with useful applets long ago.

yes, you can perform "useful" tasks with Ubuntu, or whatever, Linux distro, but unless the experience is <better> then what I'm already doing I really see no reason to change the way I'm doing things now. and Based on the fact that they continually tout that there will be "no more DLL *censored*" in Linux without admitting that their Library management is about a million times worse then windows 3.1 is what I find atrocious. OK. side by side usage of Libraries leaves a lot to be desired. This is a fact It can be remedied, it can be fixed. But to actually try to use their weakness and say it's a strength over something in windows that actually <does> work better is simply ridiculous and from my perspective really brings into question the experience of the people who would make the claim. At the same time, even though there are issues with something as down-level and important as management of include libraries there are about a kazillion different text editors one can choose for Any linux distro. And while I have no problem with variety, maybe the next time a linux dev decides, "I know, I'll make a text editor" maybe they'll  take a look at the default repository and actually make something new.

This brings up another interesting point- the package manager. It sucks. a common rebuttal to this point is that "windows doesn't have a package manager". Which is pretty silly.

Really is it better to have something that is broken and only half works or not have it at all? is it OK to overwrite your library files and replace them with new versions even though it breaks compatibility with some other program? Not to mention every single distribution apparently decides that the kazillion other repository and package formats aren't good enough and have to define their own, which probably only differs from the others in that it's header has it's own name on it. For a free, open source OS there is a *censored* of a lot of name branding.

Open source. this is another point. somehow this is inherently good. It isn't. if I open source an empty code file does it somehow make it useful? No. If i open source broken, useless code, does that somehow forgive the fact that it sucks? No. Of course, Linux is neither an empty code file nor is it broken or useless, but my point is that "Open Source" is not an incentive to the average user. What does "Open Source" mean to them? How does it help them? In either case they still need somebody else to change the code for them, wether it be a commercial program or an Open Source Project. "Open Source" is only meaningful to programmers.

Additionally, many people say "It's open source, so you can change it" Which is purely evidence that they have never tried. It's an operating System. It's not a simple task to either change or compile. You'd need to have a pretty deep understanding of basic OS theory just to read and understand the code.

Thankfully, while Ubuntu still has this tendency to footnote that it's Open Source, it's the first distro to actually put Linux on the map. before Ubuntu barely anybody knew what Linux was. many people thought it was a virus or something, or that only hackers used it. So, in that sense, it has certainly changed the face of Linux for the better.

But it still needs reconstructive surgery and major organ transplants before it can properly compete with windows. Pushing the whole "Open Source" thing only goes so far, until people actually start to try to edit it and realize that it's no more user servicable then commercial Operating Systems. For the average user, it doesn't matter if the OS is Machine code (windows) or wether it's C, it's still code to them. So using that as a "selling point" to Aunt Martha is rather silly.

The major advantage is that it's Free. It doesn't always reduce the Total Cost of ownership, but for a new or relatively new user, it comes pretty close. if somebody is already semi-familiar with windows it can actually make them think negatively about Linux- almost everything they learned about windows, folders, dragging, so forth, might need changing. and the fact that some of these things work and some don't only adds to the frustration. It's a paradigm shift, and a paradigm is best served as a single course, not with other Paradigms, otherwise you get cross-contamination, which just results in confusion.

The very same thing happens when people switch from Mac to windows, or windows to mac, or mac to linux, or linux to mac (heh, that's funny)- everything is different, and people tend to try to interpret what they see in one environment based on what they know of another. When it works, they feel they are learning. When it doesn't, they can often feel stupid. It's neither the Operating System's, nor the user's fault, but rather human nature.  It's like having to deal all your life with doors swing outward to the right and being transported to a place where they swing out to the left.

I could run and develop in VB6 via WINE, but I mean... c'mon, that's pretty dumb. And between the choice between gedit and my copy of EditpadPro, I think I'll go for the built in FTP support for developing my website, and Paint Shop Pro for images. I'm not about to restructure the way I do everything just because I'm intrigued by Linux. Sure, I can use the tools and applications provided by Ubuntu and most linux distributions, but A:) even if they <have> the same features as what I'm used to, is there something <wrong> with what I'm used to? Is using windows inherently wrong by default to a degree that I should revamp my usage patterns to fit a new OS? Sure, I can use GIMP for image editing, but I'd much rather spend 5 minutes in PSP, using tools and commands I am familar with then learn a new user interface. I mean, sure, Paint Shop Pro has a few UI faults but at least it wasn't designed by a bunch of different people all with different goals with the end result of a completely confusing UI that ends up being a testament to bad design. The problem with Linux is it has embraced the programmatic ideology that Options+Power=usability, when in fact the opposite is true. a Linux-Based desktop can only be useful to the general population when it let's go of such concepts and stops identifying as a "distribution" and instead identifies as an "operating System" otherwise it's just another shade of blue in a rainbow.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
So using that as a "selling point" to Aunt Martha is rather silly.
What about this for a "selling point": NO viruses or defragging ever again.

Part of the reason I left Windows was viruses and sluggish performance. I had to reinstall Windows ever 6 months. I had all the anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware and all the other anti-somethings anyone could ever need but it did not help. I never went to any website i did not know was safe, I stuck to google, yahoo, hotmail, wikipedia and the rest of the basics. Still somehow I got all kind of viruses not to mention the spyware. And then I found out that Microsoft was helping the spammers by giving out my email!

And then there was the defragging my HDD, *censored* help me if I have to do that again. Did several of those a week and performance still kept dropping. I shudder to think of how the computers run that are owned by people who listen to the computer technicians who recommend defrags once per month. Those 2 took soooo much time. I could have pasted commands in terminal thousands of times by then.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
i had a thought, why are many people just asking for windows softwares to be ported to windows? It's not like linux does not have it's own collection of quality software though ....

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »
windows softwares to be ported to windows?
???

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
If you already know what fragmentation is, and are already used to defragmenting your disk every month or so, here is the short version : Linux doesn't need defragmenting.

Now imagine your hard disk is a huge file cabinet, with millions of drawers (thanks to Roberto Di Cosmo for this comparison). Each drawer can only contain a fixed amount of data. Therefore, files that are larger than what such a drawer can contain need to be split up. Some files are so large that they need thousands of drawers. And of course, accessing these files is much easier when the drawers they occupy are close to one another in the file cabinet.

Now imagine you're the owner of this file cabinet, but you don't have time to take care of it, and you want to hire someone to take care of it for you. Two people come for the job, a woman and a man.

The man has the following strategy : he just empties the drawers when a file is removed, splits up any new file into smaller pieces the size of a drawer, and randomly stuffs each piece into the first available empty drawer. When you mention that this makes it rather difficult to find all the pieces of a particular file, the response is that a dozen boys must be hired every weekend to put the chest back in order.
The woman has a different technique : she keeps track, on a piece of paper, of contiguous empty drawers. When a new file arrives, she searches this list for a sufficiently long row of empty drawers, and this is where the file is placed. In this way, provided there is enough activity, the file cabinet is always tidy.
Without a doubt, you should hire the woman (you should have known it, women are much better organized :) ). Well, Windows uses the first method ; Linux uses the second one. The more you use Windows, the slower it is to access files ; the more you use Linux, the faster it is.

I love this story.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »
???

ERmm sorry about that. porting software to linux from windows, that's what I meant.

And does MacOSX have that defragmentation issue that is in windows??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
Are we talking Linux or MAC OS here?
You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:
    * Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.
    * Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.
    * Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."
    * Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.
For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1375
But this is true of many new OS out there.

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
i had a thought, why are many people just asking for windows softwares to be ported to windows? It's not like linux does not have it's own collection of quality software though ....
Linux does, just a lot of the major software developers don't support Linux. That's why people are asking for the software to ported.

And does MacOSX have that defragmentation issue that is in windows??
No it doesn't need to be drefragged, that only for Windows. Mac OS X is Unix-based like Linux.